Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading to the Kettle Falls area (NE portion of the state near the border) and was wondering if any of you knew of any good places to fish there. I'll be camping on the North end of Lake Roosevelt (which is supposed to be good fishing for Walleye which isn't my cup of tea). about 15 minutes from the Canadian border so Canada is also an option. Preferably it would be within an hour drive. Lake Ansaldo is a pay lake in the area that is good but I'd rather not pay to play.

Any help would be great...thanks.

jr

p.s. I think Chopaka is too far so that isn't much help.

· Registered
472 Posts
I've also been thinking about heading up to that area in the near future. I'm interested to see what kind of info you get. According to recent posts

(http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=28314) it would appear that both Roper and Saltchuck will be in that area very soon. Maybe they'll be able to enlighten the rest of us. :beer1

I know that doesn't really help, but I just figured that I've been lurking too much lately. Besides, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to use the good old Beer Smiley.

· Registered
13 Posts
It has been many years, but Sheep Creek used to be good. Also the Kettle River, though the section above Curlew where it loops back down into Washington is the best. The SanPoil River below Republic can also be good fly fishing.

Curlew Lake in the past put out some really nice trout, but the reports of late have not been encouraging. Actually, the Colville River has in the past been a good fishery, though it is almost totally on private land in the valley.

A bit of nostalgia: My father grew up in the Colville area and on the Kettle River. In those days, the 30's, the Columbia River produced some realy really nice cutthroat, easy to catch wild fish that today anyone of us would travel across the state if not several states to fish for. They were totally overlooked by the indians, of course, who were interested in the salmon at Kettle Falls and by most of the whites in the area who were also more interested in food fish and therefore salmon than in sports fishing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.