Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Switch Rod Samurai
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting ready to go and float the Kettle river again in a few weeks, and found this pic fro last year...typical Kettle river bow. Its a great river, easy to float, full of trout, and gets very little pressure where float it. Cutties, bows, and a few brookies and browns can all be found in the river.
They are suckers for a copper John dropped off a little stimulator or hopper in the summer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the Kettle is an awesome river... we used to camp at Curlew Lake and fish poppers and buggers for bass and trout and then head over to the Kettle for some river trout. A size 14 yellow stimulator will get you fish on top all day long

·
Switch Rod Samurai
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, there's a relly nice insect population in the river that keeps it healthy. Special regs on the river...not like the locals give a shit though for the most part. My biggest fish out of the river was a 22" cuttie taken on a yellow #12 stimulator. It helps to bring ome weighted flies or sink tips too, because even though in the summer most of the river is very shallow, there are some really nice deep pool that require weight to fish well. Bet you can guess where all the browns hang out

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Yeah, there's a relly nice insect population in the river that keeps it healthy. Special regs on the river...not like the locals give a shit though for the most part. My biggest fish out of the river was a 22" cuttie taken on a yellow #12 stimulator. It helps to bring ome weighted flies or sink tips too, because even though in the summer most of the river is very shallow, there are some really nice deep pool that require weight to fish well. Bet you can guess where all the browns hang out
I love the Kettle River. Grew up half of my life in that region. The stretch I know best is from Orient upriver to the border. Few cutties in this section. Lotsa rainbow, smatterings of browns. The river tends to channel up with alot of deep slots, and pool after pool which can be over 20 feet deep. Orient bridge down is all tubers(splash and giggle crowd) from June until Labor Day, but before or after holds alot of troutwater that can have diverse hatches. From Orient down more and more smalltmouth show up, and they can get impressive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.