Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving tomorrow eve for a couple days on the Kettle River. Anybody have any expereince or advice to offer? I think we'll be fishing in the area between Curlew and the border.

I'm hoping for about as good as the Yak, or not quite (how hard could that be?), with less people, and fish willing to come up for bushy little attractor dries.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Haven't fished the Kettle except near the mouth for walleyes and smallies. However, I would make one suggestion for this trip: bring your float tube or small watercraft. There are some beautiful smaller lakes in that area and all through the Okanogan that don't see a lot of pressure.

Think brookies. Have a blast-- it's beautiful country.

Keith

·
jabs
1,138 Posts
Ray,

I don't have any helpful information for the Kettle as I too will be hitting it for my first time in about a month or so.

I would be grateful to anyone that could shed some light on put in and take out areas on the Kettle. What sections are good floats? :dunno

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was thinking of going to fish the Kettle this summer for the first time as well. I hear it is a lot like the Madison in Montana so I would assume the same techniques would apply for a freestone river.

I would love to hear how you do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The section between the border and Curlew Creek is one of the best sections to fish. I don't know how much luck it will be with bushy attractor dries, but nymph's ( Stoneflies, larger Gold Ribbed Hare's Ears and larger Mayfly Nymph's) have worked well for me. Expect to see a few Browns but most should be nice Rainbows. There is also a nice Whitefish population. Do try the mouth's of the Creeks (Toroda, Curlew, etc.)as there are some nice holes and easier access. Expect a big river, bigger than the Yakima, but it should be a lower gradient and easier to wade.
Try some of the creeks in the area, particularly Big Sheep Creek.
Good luck and good exploring.

·
jabs
1,138 Posts
Troutandcoffee,

Thank you for the information. It will definitely be useful and I will make sure to post a report upon return (of course I won't be hitting it for 5 weeks and I'm already drooling).

Yes, BS Creek is on our target list for that weekend as we have heard some good reports in the past from this area. Thanks again.:thumb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.