Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of other Dad's and myself plan on taking our boys to Montana for a fishing road trip this summer/fall. We plan on taking a drift boat and raft to float and fish with.

We are looking for a ranch/camp site to stay at. Ideally it would have some swimming/hiking/mtn biking and other boy type activities to complement the fishing.

Does anyone have any kid-friendly suggestions on where to go?

Coho

By the way - found a great Montana website with maps, including river maps at

http://www.montanamaps.com/river.asp

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Talk to Rhonda at the Cottonwoods Campground at the three mile take-out below Fort Smith, MT., on the big Horn River. She's got a great place, kids, dogs and tons of friendly fishing guests and it's easy to handle for kids, dads and boats.It's a cinch for you. And you'll fall in love with the place too.I guess that's about 20+ hours of driving. Someone sent me there a few years ago and it was in late fall. I had the river and the camp almost to myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Kids and Fishing Road Trip to Montana - Need your I...

I would recommend the Missoula area for a home base. There are a number of campgrounds in the area you could stay at and the list of activities should fit all your needs. As far as the water is concerned the easiest river to not get in trouble on in a boat is the Clark Fork or Missouri. That time of of year on the Clarkie will give you some trico's to tie you in knots in the morning and Hoppers in the afternoon which is as forgiving a style of fishing for the boys as there is.

Other Option- There is a really neat Hot Springs right by Paradise Montana- Quinn's Hot Springs- It has cabins, pools, and easy water to fish. The other thing that might be fun is to run up to Columbia Falls for a day and hit the water slides with the kids. I also like the the Bighorn for an idea. Longer drive, but absolutely sick numbers of fish. With a strike indicator and a decent drift you will always catch fish over there.

One thing you may consider with kids and a group is to hire a guide to work the flotilla. Some of our groups bring over an extra boat and the guide takes 2 of anglers in his boat and the group's extra boat can follow and learn a stretch of the river with the guides direction on flies and where the fish are. We only charge for one boat, so once you break up the cost between the group you get a good bang for your buck, plus you can fish some instead of tying knots and rowing.

Sounds like a great trip you have brewing, time on the water with family is always special.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.