Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you folks RV in everything from a pop up tent trailer to full blown motorhomes. What do you do for insurance? From what I have read cost and claim service is all over the map. Any companies out there that stand out as being rv friendly instead of the usual "send us the money and don't bother us" outfits?

Ive

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Mutual of Enumclaw (through AAA) covers most everything we own, including past travel trailers as well as our current truck camper.
The few times I've needed them (knock on wood) they've been very responsive.
We've been very happy with them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think Progressive is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, insurer of RV's.

That being said, we have our RV insurance through State Farm, together with all of our insurance. I did get a quote from Progressive a few years back and they were considerably higher than State Farm. I do know that insurance rates in MT, where I have my RV insurance, is considerably higher than in PA where I have other things insured.

I've never had an RV insurance claim, fortunately, and I may regret having State Farm if I ever do, but they've always been fair with me in the past on homeowner and car claims.

·
Whiskey Tastes Best from a TIN CUP
261 Posts
I have my rv insured along with auto and home through the same company which also has a roadside protection program which I've had to use several times which covers auto, rv, or any other autos I happen to be riding in. It's all through Allstate. I had a flat tire on my trailer which I couldn't fix myself. From initial call to tire repair and back on the road again was under an hour. I was lucky to be in town and not in the backwoods but I'm still sold on the whole thing.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Get to know your home owner/ auto agent. As them if putting your RV on with the others is going to save you money. If yes, ask for a breakdown of the actual coverage. Use that to compare.

We only have to pay for full coverage on the months we are actually using it. I send my agent a text and we get charged for that month. The rest of the time, when it's just setting in the yard is comprehensive only. couple of dollars a month.

Wish I could do that with the tabs. Washington really likes to stick it to you on those. Don't even want to see how bad it will be this year. I have heard horrible things about the cost increase this year for the transportation tax. Really isn't fair what they charge. A RV isn't on the road daily. They should go to the mileage tax on them. No way it will ever happen. Lowering taxes isn't isn't something that the state knows how to do.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Ameriprise through Costco; all my vehicles except my Miata which is insured by Hagerty at an Agreed Value.
One claim through them, 24 hrs after my policy became effective I sideswiped a Jeep Cherokke in grocery strore parking lot with back corner of the trailer. No damage to trailer, about $3K to Jeep. They were very nice and didn't cancel me or raise rates.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
We have Traveler's for home & auto. I have checked their prices compared to several other big name companies and found them to be lower or very close. We do get a Boeing employee discount, so that helps. On the RV forum I participate on there is quite a bit of information regarding RV insurance - suggest you check those out - tons of experience to draw from. Many have specific limitations for RV's being used for full time living, and require special policies for those being used as such. Another thing to ask about is whether your rate can be adjusted during times of the year where the rig will simply be stored. Also, as already mentioned, see if they offer road side assistance. Often these are pretty cheap and just one tow charge could cover years of that premium.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.