Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived early to meet Rob Ast. Both of us were there well before sunrise. As the sun rose so too did the number of boats and beach fishermen. Lots of fly fishers, Rob Ast, Kerfwappie, Stonefish, Go Fish and myself to rattle of the ones I knew. There were a few others too. A few more buzz bombers and spinners than fly guys, but that does not matter. Rob got into a fin clipped little fish to get his skunk off. Kerfwappie brought a nice sculpin or two to hand to get his skunk off. I got skunked. Sunrise was awesome. The air was clear. A slight breeze started blowing offshore and assisted the fly caster with a bit more carry. No backing knot seen today on the switch rod. Took out the 6wt single hander about an hour before I left to see if I could still cast it. The ambush line was sailing nicely and it felt good to be out on the water.

One gear guy beached a nice 8 pounder. Saw a few other hook ups lost. Did not see any activity on the boats and they were all pressing in pretty close to shore as high tide arrived.

Great way to start your day before returning home to cook breakfast for the family and play checkers with a very strategic 5 y/o. With it being so close to home I'll be spending a lot of short trips here hoping to get some run timing down. See you out there.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
Good seeing you guys out on the beach.
I'll just add to Ed's report in regards to myself and Go Fish.
Lots of little fish
Zero big fish
A guy asked me when the humpy run was going to start. That made my day complete ......;)

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
One other note. The fish Ed mentioned was the only one I saw caught all day.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bait I saw was much bigger than the flies I was tossing. I'm thinking of tying up some bigger baitfish streamers and poppers.
With luck the fish are moving smartly down the strait and will come and pay our bait and beaches a visit soon...and in great numbers and feeding ferocity.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Post when you are coming over and the Kitsap Border Patrol will meet you and shake you down upon arrival!

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Good seeing you guys out on the beach.
I'll just add to Ed's report in regards to myself and Go Fish.
Lots of little fish
Zero big fish
A guy asked me when the humpy run was going to start. That made my day complete ......;)
Well cripes! I hope you told the guy 2011 Brian! Too funny....

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
It was a beautiful day, nice and cool until you get back
to the car. Good to meet-see Ed, Rob, and Mr. K. It just shows that most of the
WFF community are OK people. I think our time
would have been spent better just sitting on a log and shooting the
shit. Almost no bait in the water.

Hope the fish show up....

Brian, thanks again for the presents.

Dave

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Post when you are coming over and the Kitsap Border Patrol will meet you and shake you down upon arrival!
Sounds like time well spent, in spite of few fish. If I make the drive, will the KBP greet me, also? At my advanced age, I could use a thrill . . . as Dad used to say: "You gotta pick the fruit where you find the tree."

Enjoyed your report (as usual). Thanks, Ed.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sometimes the Kistap Border Patrol has been known to collect walk on fishermen and take them to various beach locations about the peninsula.

·
331 Posts
I was at the honey hole again today. I caught the biggest sculpin ever! and a decent size flounder. No chrome. Oh, and as a correction Mumbles, I did get 8 (more likely 6) inches of chrome yesterday. I want credit. It was my first silver of the year, out of respect for the fish, if nothin' else. I saw one other fly guy. Nice guy name Tony, fishing poppers and gurglers. He had a few swirls and missed a nice bump. I saw it it happen and felt his pain. I could see he was crushed. His casts were phenomenal though. Talk about tight loops and distance. Wow. He was using a green mono for running line and half a DT for a shooting head. He could pick it up quick and fire it off liggity split. Anyway it gives me somethin' to shoot for. It was nice running into you guys yesterday. I'm sure we'll meet up again before the season is over. Still waiting for Jeff. I know the fish'll be there when he shows up. Hope to see you next week.
Eric

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eric, not my intention to slight you. I knew you caught a huge sculpzilla. Good to hear you touched a little silver too. I'm not sure if I'll be around much this week, but maybe next week I'll do some dawn and dusk patrols while the ladies are on vacation.

·
1,411 Posts
Yeah...
This Friday I might need to accidentally wander off onto restricted waters and see if I can get the Kitsap water patrol to scramble over and investigate...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.