Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one seen the Klickitat lately? I am thinking of heading there for a couple of days tomorrow and just want to make sure it is fishable so I don't drive 5 or 6 hours just to turn around and come home. I checked the flow charts for the river but since I have never been there I don't know it those numbers are good or bad. Thanks.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
was there the last couple days. maybe a foot of visibility tops. no fish, and nobody we talked to had anything either. Flows are not a good indicator of how the river looks. It's probably the most frustratingly difficult river to predict the conditions of. If someone spills a water bottle or breathes on mount adams, the whole river's shot for a few days.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
call the klickitat trader.

509 369 3601

very reliable river conditions
He's super knowledgeable, and a nice guy. Beer and gas in the canyon is a plus, too.:thumb:

was there the last couple days. maybe a foot of visibility tops. no fish, and nobody we talked to had anything either. Flows are not a good indicator of how the river looks. It's probably the most frustratingly difficult river to predict the conditions of. If someone spills a water bottle or breathes on mount adams, the whole river's shot for a few days.
iagree
The river's vis was nearly the same from 10 miles below Icehouse to up above Stinson. It was barely better up high. I spilled water, AND breathed on Mt. Adams. I guess I fucked it up for everybody.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
AQ, those photos are awesome, especially that first cascading falls. I'll head that way just for the scenery.
O-Rad, stop spilling your water, breathing, sneezing and peeing in the river. Some people, man.
No fish for the fishy triplets or were you quadruplets? That is an odd outing indeed.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Getting better, fishing was good yesterday morning, Id say it would be worth the trip.

G

·
Any new news...trying to decide between the Klick and the Deschutes (lower). I've seen some encouraging reports from the Evening Hatch. How do they compare regarding snakes? I may be taking my nephew as well.

·
Travis Wallace
18 Posts
The river had two and a half feet today, if the water is green it will fish. Just size your flies to the vis, just remember that four feet is gin clear for that river. With three feet dont go to big with your flies. As far as the Deschutes goes the water temps have been close to seventy in the afternoon, it may be clear but they wont eat and if they do the fish will just roll over.

G

·
It appears the Klickitat is trying to live up to its reputation of being a Mini-Deschutes. A fire there has the lower stretch of Hwy 142 closed:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/aug/27/fire-columbia-gorge-area-forces-evacuations/
That was first news story I heard when I woke up this morning, kind of dissapointing. I talked to Rolf at 7:15pm and he said the road is stil closed from SR14 to MM10, but the smoke was pretty well cleared out.

What a nice guy, gotta stop in and spend some money with that ol' boy.

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Just got back from there. Access on foot is becoming severely limited with the Hall Road being closed, and the lower highway being closed. Lower river should be accessible at some point soon though.

Fishing was a lot tougher than it had been on previous trips too

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.