Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few spools of maxima Fluoro for my upcoming Cabo trip. I've practiced a few connection knots with them, and am not completely confident in these knots. I feel that this is a bit different than tying knots on 8 and 10lb leaders.

What types of connection knots have you all had the best success with?

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been practicing with Albrights. I can't personally make them break, they just don't look particularly appealing when compared to my smaller diameter tippet knots. I suppose that comes with the territory eh? This is my first experience with anything of this size.

·
Registered
353 Posts
A blood knot will work well. I would also suggest if you don't have confidence, depending on what you are fishing for, using a "swivel knot". ie attatch the tippet using a swivel and improved clinch knots. Obviously don't do that if you are trying for some records or if it bothers your fly fishing sence, but it works real well. These fish really pull hard and if your knot is no good, it will fail, so don't count out the swivel knot.

Though no expert by any means when I go to loreto what works for me is:

For dorado I usually use straight 30 lb- that is all 30 lb no tioppet no knots etc. If there are real big dorado around I will attatch a piece of 40 or 50 lb fluro to this. When fishing for bill fish, I use a 30 lb but section and then 80 lb 5 foot tippet (non fluro)

good luck
mike

·
On the hunt for grandes
219 Posts
alpinetrout is right on the money. Triple surgeons is a great way to go. I've been using nothing but for a while now and have had no problems. Plus, it's easy to tie in the field.
What size bite tippets are you tying to your 20 pound? What will you be targeting in Cabo San Lucas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.