Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was fishing in Kitsap lake for some rainbows when I hooked onto a 16 inch fish that I could not identify. I think it was a Kokanee or some kind of land locked salmon although as far as I can tell only rainbows and cuts should be in that lake. :dunno any ideas what it could be? thanks

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Not to be nasty, but asking the board what species of fish this is with the information you have provided is sort of like saying that you saw a car and you would like to know what kind it was.
Provide some real clues not just conjecture on your part.
For example, did you look in the mouth and note the coloration of the teeth and gums? If all white, then a rainbow or a steelhead. If all black, then a king salmon or chinook. If black but the gums are white, then it is a coho or silver salmon. Very fine teeth and fine gill rakers is probably a sockeye salmon or kokanee. Mottled green marking on the back with cream edges on the ventral and pectoral fins is most likely a brook trout. Large dots with purple and red spots with a yellow ventral area is a brown trout. Atlantics have very large black dots on head and body. If you released the fish as I hope you did, then we could only guess. Mine would be that it was an immature coho because WDFW plants a alot of these in fresh water lakes. If you put the fish in the freezer, take it out and look for some of the identify marks noted above. Also, try to memorize what marks mean what. This will not only add to your expertise but you will save yourself a conversation with sparky and a fine of $100.00 dollars or more. And of course, ignorance of what type of fish you have taken is never an excuse.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Bob,

Great post. I think identifying fish is very difficult for most of us who fish primarily for rainbows and cutts and the occasional odd other fish. Your descriptions should be in the regs next to the pictures.

Randy

" When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee" Isaiah 43:2

·
Registered
729 Posts
never caught anything out of there but cutts and BIG rainbows, probly a triploid fresh from the truck. kitsap lake is connected to the sound by chico creek I believe so they shouldn't put silvers in there, horseshoe lake is spring fed and they stock it with silvers and there a huge nuisance, travel in huge schools and follow your fly by the 10's just nipping it. nice fish anyways thou, tight lines Ben

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.