Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only fished for landlocked Atlantic Salmon in Argentina and have the opportunity to fish the Kola Peninsula in Russia this summer and was hoping someone out there can give me some advice on fly patterns that might be worthwhile to take. I prefer fishing dries, but really only have steelhead patterns. Most of the rivers in this area are extremely pricey, but there is a new operation that doesn't require a helicopter at a fraction of the cost, $3,000 vs $12,000 for a week of guided fishing in a remote, but accessible river. I will post a complete report when I return. Thanks in advance for your help.

G

·
It’s on my bucket list, but the cost and logistics has pushed it way down to #10.

I assume a search for Atlantic Salmon flies would be productive.

Also, I know The Fly Shop in Redding, CA sponsors trips to Kola. You might give them a shout.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Muknuk,

I haven't read about this new operation. That's intriguing. I'll be more than interested in your report.

West coast steelheaders I know who have been to Kola found that standard steelhead patterns work just fine. Dries like the Bomber and Waller Waker served the limited dry fly opportunities they had. And dark Intruder and marabou streamers were productive wet flies. I'm pretty certain that Atlantic salmon don't know what species a particular fly pattern is tied for.

Sg

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mukluk
The flies I would recommend black bear red butt, hairy Mary, thunder and lightning,silver and blue, silver rat, rusty rat ,a sparse general practitioner. Size 6,8 tied on doubles worked best for me. I fished drys a lot but conditions were not great,muddlers,bombers, small black gurgles also 4,6. I fished the first part of July and we had some warm weather, which also means the bugs were bad. One thing that I would like to add bring flies for grayling and sea trout, there's hatches of mayflies at late evening were I fished.
Tight lines

G

·
Muknuk.

You live in King Salmon? I spent 4 months last year 55 miles south of there near Becharoff. I flew in and out of KS several times.

Sky Air travel Flap Aviation Landscape

G

·
I lived in Alaska for 30 years and now I am on the Methow River in Washington, but I travel every year back to Alaska to enjoy and relive my favorite haunts!
The East side of the Cascades is much drier than the Alaska Peninsula . . .

I'm from the Southern Colorado high desert. I now live outside of Helena, Montana; annual precip 13". I never got used to the humidity of the Peninsula. I liked the fishing though.

Water Water resources Sky Cloud People in nature
Jaw Fish Marine biology Wildlife Fish products

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.