Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After facing my fears I decided to give Kool-Aid dying a white cape that I have a try. I washed the cape in dish soap and rinsed it well. I used a bottle of orange Kool-Aid to 2 cups vinegar and 1 cup water in a glass 14x9 inch cake pan. I microwaved it 2 minutes on high. Stirred it around and let it sit for 2 minutes and gave it another 2 minutes on high. I then let it sit in the bath for another 2 minutes and then rinsed it in cold water. The dye held very well but....BUT....the cape now smells like orange Kool-Aid!

I've rinsed it three times and the smell is a little less noticeable but still present. I'm not sure if a fly with one feather smelling a bit like oranges will be noticeable but I'll have to let the fish decide. Presently the cape is outside getting some air. I may try leaving it in baking soda for a month and see if that helps. If anyone has any ideas how to get rid of the smell please let me know.

The chicken question is this. Take a look at the feathers on this bird. They are the closest thing to a hundred dollar Whiting Spey cape I've ever seen. The fibers are long and with little web. I was given this cape from a friend at the time of 20 years ago who kept a few birds in his barnyard. Would anyone know what species of chicken this came off of. I'm thinking maybe a Silkie or a Cochin but if there's any chicken ranchers on here who might know....
Hair Orange Feather Phasianidae Fawn
Product Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor
Hair Amber silverfish Wood Plant

·
Premium Member
3,691 Posts
I used a bottle of orange Kool-Aid
The dye held very well but....BUT....the cape now smells like orange Kool-Aid!
A bottle of Kool Aid? Did it have sugar in it? That might be your problem. I've only used the packets of unsweetened and never had any problems with the product imparting any smell.

Nice color on the cape; pretty feathers.

Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Scott, up here in Canada we can't buy the packets of sugar free anymore and the liquid stuff is sweetened but it's all that's available. I know some guys up here have picked up the packets when down south or bought them off of ebay. The liquid did work well but the consequence of the smell is a concern. I also used the watermelon flavoured liquid on some white marabou and it turned out pretty nice and there is no distinct odour coming off of it. The orange flavoured definitely has an artificial scent added to it.
Natural material Animal product Feather Liver Fur clothing

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
After facing my fears I decided to give Kool-Aid dying a white cape that I have a try. I washed the cape in dish soap and rinsed it well. I used a bottle of orange Kool-Aid to 2 cups vinegar and 1 cup water in a glass 14x9 inch cake pan. I microwaved it 2 minutes on high. Stirred it around and let it sit for 2 minutes and gave it another 2 minutes on high. I then let it sit in the bath for another 2 minutes and then rinsed it in cold water. The dye held very well but....BUT....the cape now smells like orange Kool-Aid!

I've rinsed it three times and the smell is a little less noticeable but still present. I'm not sure if a fly with one feather smelling a bit like oranges will be noticeable but I'll have to let the fish decide. Presently the cape is outside getting some air. I may try leaving it in baking soda for a month and see if that helps. If anyone has any ideas how to get rid of the smell please let me know.

The chicken question is this. Take a look at the feathers on this bird. They are the closest thing to a hundred dollar Whiting Spey cape I've ever seen. The fibers are long and with little web. I was given this cape from a friend at the time of 20 years ago who kept a few birds in his barnyard. Would anyone know what species of chicken this came off of. I'm thinking maybe a Silkie or a Cochin but if there's any chicken ranchers on here who might know.... View attachment 128438 View attachment 128439 View attachment 128440
Nice. I'd like to find a couple of capes like that one. You happen to remember where you got it?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was given this cape and a few various other ones from a neighbour who had some birds running around his yard. Every now and then he would slaughter a few and skin them as he didn't like picking out the pin feathers. One day he showed up on my door with a grocery bag with these capes inside. This was the only one that had such nice feathers with the long web free fibres it possesses. I would really like to find out the breed so that I can look for others as this should tie some really nice spey flies. I think I'll ask the folks at the local feed store as they might have an idea what it came from.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
Now that some teenagers are into bright colored hair, we have access to vivid hair dye that works quit well for coloring chicken feathers....

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You found one of the many reasons I don't use Kool Aid to dye feathers and fur. Seriously, it is far cheaper to just pick up 1/2 oz bottles of Jacquard's Acid Dye, or Fly Dye with the added benefit of many more colors than with Kool Aid (and no smell of various fruits or fruit punches). There is also a lot of non-dye in Kool Aid, whether the bottles or the packets that you are paying for.

And as Gene mentioned, there are a lot of vivid, bright, even florescent hair dyes available which work on feathers and fur. After all, hair is a protein substrate just like feathers and fur.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.