Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Sage Method 10 foot 7 weight cost $850. I bought a Sage Response 10 foot 7 weight as back up . It cost $395. To tell you the truth I can't tell the difference in these rods. As far as Korean blanks . I have a Beulah switch rod blank is made in Korea. I also have a Sage switch. Again, I see and feel little difference in these rods. I think Hardy makes the strongest rod blanks made out of Sintrix material. I find most of the high end rods are over priced. Look at the sage one and other rods they make. A few years ago they were $850. Now you can buy them new for $500.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I will only say that I've had quite a few Sages over the years, mostly RPL and RPL+ rods. I've yet to have a malfunction of the blanks on any of those rods (most were caused through human error). Now, I've owned quite a few rods made overseas now too. I won't name manufacturers, but two of the manufacturers have had multiple blank malfunctions. Now, when they're casting they're phenominal, I won't lie there. But when they literally explode in my hand, it gets a bit unnerving. So far all have been blank defects. Maybe part of higher cost, outside of being made here in the US, is they have much better quality control.

And an add on. I'm far from only one who's had malfunctions with these two rod companies. That also includes faulty eyes as well (stripper guides).

I'm assuming you're getting what you pay for. And like mentioned, when they have a new rod out, the older model always starts selling for less.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I will only say that I've had quite a few Sages over the years, mostly RPL and RPL+ rods. I've yet to have a malfunction of the blanks on any of those rods (most were caused through human error). Now, I've owned quite a few rods made overseas now too. I won't name manufacturers, but two of the manufacturers have had multiple blank malfunctions. Now, when they're casting they're phenominal, I won't lie there. But when they literally explode in my hand, it gets a bit unnerving. So far all have been blank defects. Maybe part of higher cost, outside of being made here in the US, is they have much better quality control.

And an add on. I'm far from only one who's had malfunctions with these two rod companies. That also includes faulty eyes as well (stripper guides).

I'm assuming you're getting what you pay for. And like mentioned, when they have a new rod out, the older model always starts selling for less.
Well, I visited my son last year in Korea. I went to a dentist there and got a new gold crown replaced for $359. My dentist wanted $1200. I'm sure most Korean rods are good!! Seems there's more skill there that shouldn't be overlooked! I wish I could have found a rod making company while there. Darn!

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Well, I visited my son last year in Korea. I went to a dentist there and got a new gold crown replaced for $359. My dentist wanted $1200. I'm sure most Korean rods are good!! Seems there's more skill there that shouldn't be overlooked! I wish I could have found a rod making company while there. Darn!
If you see that Hardy, Loop, Beulah, Guideline, and a few other good ones make blanks in Korea, it looks like some talented individuals make rods over there.

I guess I understand the value of American made goods, but I don't see the big deal with Korean stuff, when the quality is better for the money. Nobody seems to bitch about Italian products. Why is that?

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I never said they weren't good, I actually really love fishing the rods I have by those two companies, but I've had more "blank defects" with them then I've ever had in all my other rods combined.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
SMSNYDER,

Thank you for supporting the retail fly rod industry. Without the support of retail buyers like you, the technology of high end products would not "trickle down" to us value consumers who prefer or need to buy high quality rods at more affordable prices.

Sg

·
Registered
651 Posts
Business is business. It must make a profit or go out of business.
The equipment and material used to make rod blanks doesn't care where it is located - America, Korea, New Zealand, - - - .
The difference between blanks that fail and those that don't is because of quality control. Quality control costs money.
Advancements in blank performance are due to new materials, design, testing - r&d costs money.
Consistent and expanding demand for products requires generating satisfactory experiences supported by marketing and service. This costs money as well.
I haven't purchased a new rod in quite a while, except for bamboo. It's a wonderful advantage buying relatively new, discontinued or gently used graphite rods, at a substantial reduction from the current model new price.
So I will thank all of you who buy new, supporting the rod industry, whether built on American made blanks or offshore, testing and reporting on them, so I get to know which of the 'cast offs' to buy.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
I have a Sage Method 10 foot 7 weight cost $850. I bought a Sage Response 10 foot 7 weight as back up . It cost $395. To tell you the truth I can't tell the difference in these rods. As far as Korean blanks . I have a Beulah switch rod blank is made in Korea. I also have a Sage switch. Again, I see and feel little difference in these rods. I think Hardy makes the strongest rod blanks made out of Sintrix material. I find most of the high end rods are over priced. Look at the sage one and other rods they make. A few years ago they were $850. Now you can buy them new for $500.
the people who make American made rods are not overpaid and the companies are not overly profitable therefore the rods by definition cannot be overpriced.. you not liking the price and them being overpriced are two completely different things.

a guide trip will run you 500 bucks and lasts 8-12 hours. a rod costs 900 and lasts a lifetime.. sounds like a bargain

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It all comes down to the level of involvement and supervision at the level of manufacturing. Meiser works closely with, I believe, a New Zealand company to develop some of the most amazing blanks out there. His quality control, design, and materials are superb. This level of involvement, combined with vision and innovation, can be applied to good blank builders anywhere in the world. Or, you could have a company make cheap blanks with little oversight anywhere in the world. Prices and performance will be affected accordingly.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If Bob sold his rods through dealers they would need to be 50% more than his 'direct' pricing. But since Bob doesn't want a corporate jet; or need to satisfy a board of directors that their 'ROI' warrants the use of their money; or needs to manufacture rods that meet industry product marketing research standards instead of his own standards; or ramp up manufacturing facilities, warehousing, advertising, r&d; or trouble his head to come up with new names for updated product;
- he gets to go fishing while doing his own r&d; drives his own pickup truck, answers the phone himself most of the time, attends 'claves' in person to hear what his target market group like, dislike and want; can have a PNW beard instead of Wall St. stubble . . . . .
Bob is his own kind of business man and I like the way he does business, and I especially like his rods!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you haven't already seen it, I would recommend watching the Lefty Kreh video that is posted in another thread on this forum. In it, he comments on retail markup in the fly fishing industry, and how he sees that as a detriment to the sport. He goes on to claim that any rod that costs about $125 or more is likely to cast better than the user. I was told a similar thing by a certified casting instructor.

And yes, the only reason that you can currently buy a Sage One for $500 is because they have been discontinued and replaced by the Sage X.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.