Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
In the market myself. My Gen 1 Korkers were the cats meow and I have nursed them along for the last few years. These look to be similar except they have the improved design for interchangeable soles. As my Gen 1 got older, they had a tendency to pop out -- and more often than not during the worst time.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the market myself. My Gen 1 Korkers were the cats meow and I have nursed them along for the last few years. These look to be similar except they have the improved design for interchangeable soles. As my Gen 1 got older, they had a tendency to pop out -- and more often than not during the worst time.
Thanks, I tried some on years ago and they were too narrow for my feet. Also the soles felt narrow, not that I've tried it but they felt like how I would imagine walking on high heels would be.
I don't know of anyplace local to check them out so would be ordering blind and don't want the hassle of a return for both the merchant and myself.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like Cabela's has them... might check the store nearest you.
Thanks, they're 40 miles away and I don't get that direction often.
I checked their site and saw 10% off + free shipping over Memorial Day so took a chance on the boots with felt sole and also ordered the alumatrax sole. If I'm not happy I'll have to make the trip for a return.
Also went thru Active Junky which gives a 6% rebate and put it all on a cash back credit card.
Shit, damn near free.;)

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I have an earlier version of Korkers and will NEVER own another pair!!!! The soles kept popping out and at times it was a hazard to my well being! Until I am totally assured that this will not happen Korkers are black balled for me. I ended up Sho-goo ing them in and call it good for when I am in someones drift boat and I can't use spiked felt.

Use at your own peril.

Dave

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have an earlier version of Korkers and will NEVER own another pair!!!! The soles kept popping out and at times it was a hazard to my well being! Until I am totally assured that this will not happen Korkers are black balled for me. I ended up Sho-goo ing them in and call it good for when I am in someones drift boat and I can't use spiked felt.

Use at your own peril.

Dave
Thanks for the fair warning, I can only hope they improved the new ones.
Also, in the event of, the no hassle return policy is the main reason I ordered from Cabela's.
I'll definitely give an honest review for others.

·
Go Cougs!
431 Posts
I have had my second gen variation for a few years now. Not only do the interchangeable soles not come off, I think they are way easier to put on this time around. The only thing that would keep me from getting another pair is if the comfort of the boot wasn't right. The versatility is terrific. If I'm going to do much walking, I can walk in some place with rubber soles and then swap them out to fish. I can show up to float with someone in the morning that does or doesn't want spikes in their boat by switching out the soles right there. I currently only have 3 soles; rubber, felt and felt with spikes. I understand they now make a sole with the grip bars as well. The version you are looking at is not a BOA shoe, and that may be a good thing as well. I also have big, but narrow feet, I would caution against the BOA if you are in this camp. It is super convenient but tough to get good tension around the ankles.

DKL

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had my second gen variation for a few years now. Not only do the interchangeable soles not come off, I think they are way easier to put on this time around. The only thing that would keep me from getting another pair is if the comfort of the boot wasn't right. The versatility is terrific. If I'm going to do much walking, I can walk in some place with rubber soles and then swap them out to fish. I can show up to float with someone in the morning that does or doesn't want spikes in their boat by switching out the soles right there. I currently only have 3 soles; rubber, felt and felt with spikes. I understand they now make a sole with the grip bars as well. The version you are looking at is not a BOA shoe, and that may be a good thing as well. I also have big, but narrow feet, I would caution against the BOA if you are in this camp. It is super convenient but tough to get good tension around the ankles.

DKL
Thanks, my biggest concern is that I have wider than a D foot with a high arch/instep so hoping for the best.
I honestly haven't tried the BOA system probably because I had some ski boots that were similar many years ago that I hated.
I ordered the base felt boot and the Alumatrax sole option which I'm anxious to try.

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
Thanks, my biggest concern is that I have wider than a D foot with a high arch/instep so hoping for the best.
I honestly haven't tried the BOA system probably because I had some ski boots that were similar many years ago that I hated.
I ordered the base felt boot and the Alumatrax sole option which I'm anxious to try.
I have EEE feet, and a high arch. Korkers fit fine.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Another thumbs up here for the Korkers...I've got a pair of the Devil Canyon boots that are in their first season this year...after replacing a pair of Chromes that have lasted 6+ seasons of hard use.

At the end of the useful life of the Chromes, the sole of the boot (not the insert) meeting the upper was the weaker link than the insert into the sole. While I never once had an issue with those sole inserts coming out, I was certainly impressed to see that. I loaded up the bed of the sole with Shoe Goo and it went another year, and I probably could have done the same this February to nurse another year out of them, but by that point, wear and tear was taking its toll on other areas as well.

I've also got to give a big vote of confidence in the boas too (though the model in question here doesn't have them). While I'm not sure they're any more convenient than laces, I've had zero issues with them, either in my new DC's or the Chromes. One thing I do like about them is that they don't absorb water and change tension like some traditional laces.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.