Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a patagonia gift card for the full original retail value of my SST wading jacket that I purchased as a gift to myself after completing grad school and landing my first staff level fish bio job in 2006.

The jacket has been in my gear bag for every outing since I purchased it and served to extend many wet, soggy, cold outings over the years. It once got an accidental beer bath while riding in the rowers box in a drift boat down a Montana road that was so washboard-y that it broke the bottle in transit.

This past spring I noticed that I was wet around my shoulders after a 10+ hr soaking in wind-driven March rain on an early season lakes outing. I followed patagonia's recommended process for laundering and re-proofing the waterproof/breathable membrane. All was well until two weeks ago when I was fishing in the first fall rain storm. After an all day soaking I was again wet around my upper shoulders. I noticed drops of water inside the hood. It looked like the drawstring area that allowed for shaping the hood to whatever head gear I chose was leaking.

Last week I sent the jacket in for repair, asking if the hood could be patched. Today I received the gift card. That's stand up customer service!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow that is an impressive warranty. I have the same coat a year or two older that I was thinking about sending in, but assumed they wouldn't still cover it. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Some companies are great at doing stuff like that. I have an old North Face Mountain Light shell from the mid 90's that had a broken pull cord at the waist and one on the hood. I sent it in to get that fixed and figured they would tell me to buy a new coat but they fixed that, put a new zipper on it and fixed some stitching that was coming loose. Makes me feel good about all the North Face stuff I have hanging in my closet.

Mike

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hmmm, seems like we're rolling the dice in terms of which service rep opens your box.

I recently sent them a pair of waders that were leaking really badly around the seems (flashlight test showed light coming through all the seams in lower leg and around booties). These were slightly newer than your 2006 vintage jacket. But also being a fish bio working in the field, I've got access to plenty of waders AND in this same period of time I bought a house and had two kids (read: the returned waders hadn't seen a lot of use despite their age).

I did expect to get more life from these waders. I asked them to evaluate them for repair and they were deemed un-repairable.

Long story short: they refunded me also, but at the last sale price they had in their system, which was something like $117 - FAR below what it'll take me to get a pair of Skeenas, which seem the most suitable for replacement (at $400).

With that said, I think what they refunded me was fair given the age of my waders (2009 if I recall) and I don't have the expectation that gear should last forever. I'm pleased with the service I've recieved from Patagonia and I'll probably be getting their Skeenas as a replacement.

Bigger question, maybe: should we have the expectation that breakdown of gear used heavily for a decade should be replaced at full retail? Aren't we all paying for this? Don't get me wrong, if they'd offered me $400 or a straight trade for Skeenas, I'd have smiled and said 'yes'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.