Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jabs
1,138 Posts
When I fish Chopaka I mainly use black, olive and red chironomids usually sizes between 12 and 16. This year I am tying up a variety of patterns in different colors in size 12 everything from Superfloss bodies to mylar bodies with flash and wire ribbing.

Emerging Chironomids can be very effective especially in the mornings and evening hours. I have only fished this lake for the past 3 years, so others may have more successful colors but I do pretty darn good every time I go. I'll post a report when I get back.
:thumb

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you're going to Chopaka in the next several weeks, make sure you're prepared for more than just chironomids. The mayflies will be moving, and so will the damsel flies.

Take plenty of flash-back hares ears (olive) in #14 and #16, some parachute Adams or parachute callibaetis or gray sparkle duns in #14, #16, and #18. Make sure you have lots of some kind of callibaetis emergers, either CDC or Quigley type, and a few spinner patterns wouldn't hurt.

Take lots of damsel nymphs in tan, olive, and green, in several different sizes. And if you go before June it might be a little early, but I wouldn't leave home for Chopaka without some adult damsels.

Have fun, at it's best Chopaka is undoubtedly one of the highest quality flyfisheries in the west.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I'm going to tell you my hot spot at that lake. But you must agree that if I come there and announce myself, you will cede the spot to me because of my rights as a discoverer. Drop a private e-mail. Too hot for the net.
Bob:beer2

·
jabs
1,138 Posts
There are many ways you can fish a chirony. Full sink and very,very slow retrieve. In shallower water maybe a sinktip with the same retrieve. I will usually do the bobber thing to about 15-20 ft of water. So depending on the depth you are fishing at and where in the water column the fish are feeding you will need to adjust your bobber accordingly. I usually fish my boys between 3-15 ft of water as I tend to fish shallower water.

And for Chopaka you can fish pretty much the whole southern end with less than 10 ft of leader. There are a couple areas in the northern area that you will find success around this depth. I hope this helps.

Plus with bobber fishing you can drink a little more brew while you sit and stare unless of course the fishing is hot and you have no time for beer or anything between hook ups. My countdown until show time is less 7 days. :beer1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.