Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Lake Curlew Area?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lotech joe 
Nick,
I've fished Curlew before. It's a tough lake to figure out, but when you do, you'll find out that Curlew's 2 pound rainbows, fight like any other lake's 5 pounders. There is a small "pond" if you will at the far north end. It contains Largemouth Bass. There is a small "lake" connected to the south end, called Lake Roberta. It also holds Largemouth Bass. My wife and I were in there one summer and saw a beaver with a head the size of a German Shephard's head. The main lake is probably too big for a tube, but a 12-14 foot hard boat can handle it well. The small waters I mentioned and the north and south ends would be great for a tube.
If you go far enough north of the lake to run into the Kettle River, maybe 10 or 15 miles, you'll find one of the best flyfishing rivers in northeast Washington. Shallow riffles, undercut banks, and sweepers, are great places to try nymphing or dries. If you catch anything there it will probably be a rainbow, maybe a whitefish. If you can find some of the deep holes, you may stumble into a 3 to 5 pound german brown. I would stay away from the main lake with fly fishing gear, and would work the north and south waters of the main lake, and the Kettle River for sure. Wish I was going with you.
Lotech Joe:thumb

I've,
Maybe the river has changed since I fished it last. It's been maybe ten years. My wife and I fish it some 4 or 5 miles west of the town of Curlew. It was never more than about knee deep, but there were occaisional holes to beware of if you didn't watch where you were going. I hope I haven't miss-informed anyone.
Lotech Joe:dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.