Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I've had it with lake fishing. I almost threw everything away today just because everything I tried to do today went wrong. Let me see where can I start. First you have to make up you mind to where you are going to go. Then when you get there you have to blow up what ever it is what you are using,then put it together. Then start attaching things,stripping apron,oars,net. Then you have to attend to yourself. You have to put on waders,boots,vest,life preserver,fins. Then you have to put your rod together,string your line and then think and ponder what fly you are going to use. After you get all that done you start out onto the lake and the wind starts up and won't let you go where you want to. Besides all that rowing and finning around a lake wears an old man out.

That why I like fishing streams(aka skinny water). Get to where you are going. Put rod together and string line and add fly. Put on waders,boots,vest. Step into stream and you are ready to go.:professor

Jim

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
booohooo

WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA WHA

:bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling :bawling

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
193 Posts
booohooo

The other day i tried my first time float tubing. Since i'm only about 5'6" and still growing, i didn't realize how low i would be sitting in my tube. I didn' thin about what might get soaked in my vest, but after a while i went to change flies and realized my 3 fly boxes had been sitting in water for about 45 minutes. I dried them out when i got home but some had to be thrown out.:reallymad :beathead

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'm afraid that if I fell asleep on/in my pontoon boat I would slip off into the depths. I only rest my back if I walked too far and besides if I find a comfortable place I might just fall asleep. I'm just tired of lake fishing and need a skinny water fix. What shape is the S/Fork in right now. Thinking of hitting the forks. Have a few places already mapped out. Just have to get butt in gear.

Also I can't bowl,knees are shot. Operations on both of them. What I ought to do is take up knitting.:rofl

Jim

·
previously micro brew
4,662 Posts
Where did you throw your stuff?

Off to the Nunnally chain today, back on Sunday. If you see a green Tundra & silver Tundra with a pop up trailer, stop by to say to hi or a nip of scotch. Oops, now I have to bring more than a 1/2 gallon for the weekend..... That should get you over there Old Man... Of course, there will be a variety of local micro brews.

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

What are you driving a Green one or a Silver one,make up your mind. It must be hard to drive two rigs at the same time. And if I was to go to the Dry side I would fish the Yakima with all the snakes and ticks. Besides it's lake fishing and right now I'm down on it. Booze or no booze.

And pwoens :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :*

Jim

·
Another Flyfisherman
748 Posts
Jim, you are our "Veteran." You cant give up. You are that old Sergeant Major that motivates the "young troops" to take the hill, kill the enemy, and win the war. If you give up........you just cant give up! Drink a beer, tie a few flies, and take a day off. You'll feel better. :thumb :beer1

J

·
Registered
747 Posts
Agree totally--that's why I stick to rivers. While I wouldn't resort to Powerbait, casting spinners seems to give the same amount of excitement (or lack thereof) without all the hassle of casting a fly. I was actually thinking of posting a question of the practicality of using fly gear on lakes but Jim beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Jim, though you are much older than I am (2yrs. remember), I do feel I am allowed to give a little advice since Chris gave you the what for and powens is totally insensitive to the needs of the aging. May they both be thrown into the back rooms of Monty's Guest Ranch for Men when they become aged.
Now for the tips:
Get or permanently borrow a small boat with trailer, 12ft. for just fresh and 14ft. for the salt..
Rig your stuff and leave it all in the boat. Leave a fly on the rod (#8 green woolly bugger), and just hook up and go.
This is where we are headed,Jim; so rig up for lake fishing. You can then fish till you die; maybe, you can even die while fishing.
Streams will get you ,Jim. You'll wade, slip and fall, and float off into the bye bye before your time. The rocks will tear you a new basset. You won't be able to get far enough away from the parking lot to catch anything.
So get a small electric motor and troll a wolly bugger around the edges, near the weeds like the rest of us.
Hopes this helps, Jim. We need help at our age. I've been expecting help from the younger guys on this forum for some time now. You know, maybe a private e-mail about a secret spot. None yet, Jim. Guess they just don't care about a generation that gave them all these nice roads and infrastructure for free. Ingrates I guess.
But a private e-mail or two would sure change my mind. How about you?
Bob:bawling
Oh, and Jim, you can be propped up in the front seat of a boat and with a shawl you can fish while some kid runs the boat. You can't do that on a stream, Jim. Jim, get real!

G

·
IveofIone
Jim,
Is this an age thing or what? Does this mean that in another 2 years I am going to get cranky too? Or is the rain over there on the populated side creating a little depression? Hope you snap out of this funk and get some tight lines soon. Ive

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good point. Lake fishing sucks.

Keep that in mind and stay away from the lakes! For the love of God, stay away from the lakes!

By the way, I'll be out at the lake if anyone is looking for me.. having a terrible time catching 17-26" fish.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well I should of been much clearer on what I said. What I'm tired of is catching all of those fish with round tails. I have a good time on the lakes. Lots of times I do spot fishing. Spot them rising and cast to the spots. Catch a lot that way. But I'm tired of the rounded tails. Would like to catch one with a square tail. I don't know I think it was just that today every thing went wrong.

23 more days and all the skinny waters open back up and I will be in seventh heaven. I get to fish the Stilly both forks,Canyon Creek, several of them. The head waters of the Skykomish. Nine streams in that area. Heck I can even get on Pilchuck Creek This is a sleeper. Jim Creek. Gosh this is fun. look at all the waters that I named and I bet that almost none of you fish them.

Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jim, i've fished almost all that you have mentioned, and i agree with your views on lake fishing. there's just nothing like fishing moving water. i can't wait for june 1. Chris, i'm hitting the s.fork snoqualmie tomorrow and noticed you said the flows are pretty high. is it pretty much blown out right now? thanks, Scott

·
Piscatorial predilection
2,393 Posts
Hey Jim, I'm with you! I am waiting for June 1 to get here and it couldn't be any too soon for me. I never could get into that lake thing, tried many times, but I'll leave those flat waters to others.

You know where I'll be opening day!

LB

·
124 Posts
Old Man
I used to love! fishing the head waters of the N.
Skyomish. However, unless they changed it this year, it was closed about three years ago. They closed it from Bear falls up. Major Bummer!! If anyone knows different please let me know. The fish aren't huge but you could catch them in the 11" range. :-( :beathead

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Gee whiz and golly darn.
You could be mowing the grass, weeding the flower beds, or painting the bedroom. Or even worse you could be waiting for an electrician to finish a two day job that is growing to six days and counting and the total job has to be done in five more days and I need seven to finish after the clown gets out of there.
My deepest sympathies!
Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.