Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I am kinda new to this fly fishing thing. I have been hitting many lakes in kitsap county. I have been doing ok but I have just been guessing on what fly to use. I am at the point now where I dont know if I am wasting my time with the wrong fly. Are there a few flies that I could use that work in the area that I fish. :dunno

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I dont know what lakes you are fishing but if you want an idea of what to use and need to pick up flies, go talk to Troy at NW Angler and he should be able to set you straight. He is a good friend of mine and should know what is going on with the local lakes.
I would use a woolybugger with either BH nymph or another different colored bugger behind it.
I would talk to troy if you want the latest info.
360 697 7100 is the number of the shop.

·
SANCHO!
1,692 Posts
Get Mac to tie you one of his 7inch Articulated bunny leeches. The one with the tattoo. It doesn't exactly catch fish but it does scare the shit out of them so bad they pass out and float to the surface. Grab'm and snap a photo. Thats all you really need. Catching and fighting fish is over rated and you could sustain an injury!

HEH! I'm just messin... (just in case some of you geeks don't get my lame sense of humor yet)

My top lake 5 are (not in any special order)

1: Various color buggers
2: Emergers - various sizes.. mostly black and some olive
3: Black gnats, tiny adams, Callibaetis drys and nymph
4: Damsel fly pimpnimps' various sizes
5: If those fail I watch the bobber and chiro fish.. but thats a whole other dirty little secret.

Note: that these are standard and do not limit my need to use the completly wrong fly at all times. :professor

~cHris :thumb

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Who you callin geeks??

Lake selection of flies: Backyard had a good selection above and the idea of talking to the shop is a good one also. Most of the time the shops are pretty darn helpful and can point you in the right direction. You might even try hookin up with someone from the site and having them fish with you and maybe pick up a trick or two?? Good luck.

~Patrick ><>

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
You're in rare form this morning Patrick Oens...I was gonna suggest you stop by the house if you make the drive to Pass Lake, but us older folks need our rest...

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
Guessing is good...

...when it works, if this happens, take notes and do the same thing again. Try to determine how deep the take was and go back to that zone. If it slows down, or stops, that's just part of fishing. Talk with folks on the water that are catching fish. People will often share fly infomation. Just ask pwoens, he yaks it up with lots of folks and then dials it in for himself.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Im sorry

Come one Rick...you made me feel bad so I had to go and edit my posts :smokin . You boys know im just playin with ya'll. Can I stop by your house now?? PLEASE??? I will be nicer?? ;-)

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Guessing is good...

Ya, you will find most people are very cool on the water and you never know who your gonna meet?? It may be one of us and then your in for a world of hurt ;-). Playin around of course. Definately ask if you see someone dialed in cause they will let you in on there secret most of the time. :thumb :thumb
~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guessing is good...

I just found my old copy of Randall Kauffmans Lake fishing with a fly or words to that effect. Didn't remember how much good info was there but this book would be a great "primer" to one who hadn't fished lakes before. This isn't just reference reading, it's packed with science and years of learning and would benefit most anyone who fishes lakes.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Backyards choices are all good but I would choose a little differently. I would take a wooley bugger in black in various sizes, dragon fly nymphs in various sizes, muddler minnows, a falk, carey special tied in green, burnt orange and brown, and a cadis dry and the old faithful royal coachman wet and dry.
Go Get Em!
Dave :beer2

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.