Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hiked up to lake Isabel a few years ago and have been wanting to go back and try and do some fishing. I have secured a float plane for the trip in to haul the gear and boats while I hike up. I am wondering if anyone has ever been up there. It's a big lake about 3 or 4 miles above Reider road past Gold Bar. Any info would help.... :THUMBSUP

·
Junior Dave Monti fan
373 Posts
I've been up several times. It's a very cool spot, though I didn't find the fishing to be especially hot. You are definitely wise to have your gear transported up there (though I'd have had the plane transport me, as well). The hike is reasonably mellow until the last pitch up beside the waterfall, which becomes extremely taxing if you've foolishly chosen to tote 50 pounds or so.

Beach at the far (east) end of the lake is an appealing camping spot, but a long row. You should have a big lake completely or mostly to yourself -- have a good time!

·
{Fly fishing} = Time well spent
46 Posts
Been there, done that. We took a float plane in... oh, 95 or 96 I suppose.
Beautifull lake. Yes, the best camping spot is the east end of the lake. Thats where you want to be. Also, there is A small stream that flows in at the east end right next to the camp sight. Great wadding in the morning and evenings. Rises all over. Brookies and Kokanie mostly. I never did tie into any rainbows, althow thair must be sum in there. All in all, cought many, many Brookies 7 - 12". Three 13 inchers, and had an excelent time for all.
We stayed for 3 nights, rowed the entire length in small rafts and a float tube I had brought. We had the whole lake to our selvs most of the time. Day two, some other folks showed up and took the only other decent camp sight on the lake, half way down on the North side. They stayed one night and left the next day. Once again we had the lake to ourselvs.
The altitude up there can be deceptive. Those of you who hike to higher altitudes can attest to that. Don't take the weather for granted. It can change quickly, and get down right chilly fast. Rain squals can move through in hours and be right back to clear and hot faster than you think.
The last day waiting for the plain to return was nerv racking. The morning fog from the valy below, did not lift untill almost 4:00 PM. We flew out late in the day, and not by choice. If the fog had not lifted we would have been spending the night again.
One final rememberance apon leaving. The view as we left the lake at the west end where the water fall fell out from underneith us as we slipped off the edge of the mountain was worth the whole trip.
Have A great time. Plan ahead, be safe (bear country mind you), and tight lines.

Kent S.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Isabel lake
A pretty lake that has been popular with the float plane fly in crowd. The fish in the lake are all from natural production (hasn't been planted in decades). The species inlcude brookies, kokanee, and lake trout. The brookies and kokanee seem to doing pretty well; the laker population is pretty fragile - may be the only self-sustaining populations in Western Washington.

The folks flying in boats, down riggers, etc have hit the population pretty hard. Fish accordingly.

Tight lines
Curt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.