Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SnoqStrand
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any floattube bellingham fly fishers willing to share patterns they use on lake padden?

I just moved up here and I mostly fished padden with a float tube. Since its the offseason I wanted to tie some flies for when the lake opens back up. I was wondering if anyone knows good patterns for the lake?

thanks
Austin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya...Squalicum lake is awesome! Nice little fly fishing only lake. Dont have to worry about the many bank fishers like at Padden. When I was up in Bham for school I fished this lake whenever I could. Lots of different trout (triploids, browns, cutties). I would highly reccomend squalicum over padden.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
In June there is a nice Hexagenia hatch on Padden, which makes for some awesome dry fly fishing in the last few hours of daylite. Other than that, drag a leech or bugger. I will second Squalicum Lake as a better fly fishing lake. Rick

·
Registered
890 Posts
I used to fish Squalicum a load in high school... Had a lot of luck with Caddis and various streamers, buggers, damsel emergers ... Since I moved to the Midwest 8 yrs ago I haven't since... My parents still love in bham and do you guys have any recomended Patterns Jan-feb???

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Some good chirononmid hatches in the spring, olive or black.

·
Kayak Fly Angler
176 Posts
Padden is a wonderful little city lake.

Kevinjc: You don't have to worry about bank fishers if you fish Padden's long forested shoreline, which extends practically half the lake (and ought to be better fishing for bug swingers anyway). In fact, if you're out in a boat or tube on Padden, have pity on the poor bank fishers - they only get one little arc of shoreline to fish, when you can have the whole lake. Keep at least two casts distance from other fishermen on these pressured lakes if at all possible.

(Post edited because my answer to Scotty assumed he was asking about Padden in his post above–then I actually read it and realized he was asking about Squalicum).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.