Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently drive by the big water of Lake WA and am aware of some boat trollers who catch some pretty big trout at the right time of year. Bass fishing can be good here and there too.

Has anyone had decent experiences flyfishing the lake? I have a pontoon & pram and am looking for some good shoreline areas of the Lake not too far from a Launch. Also if you know of some proven fly patterns to tie-up. If you have a secret spot you don't want to give away maybe you could send me a private note.

·
Old School Member
799 Posts
Yep its often overlooked...I am in the process of buying a fishing kayak so I'll be investigating this lake more soon...

Trout ( cutthroat to 4 pounds and rainbows) hang out near the evergreen bridge in deep water and on the south point of mecer island...troll a streamer DEEP
Small rainbows can be found near the surface near shore

Smallmouth bass are common to 5 pounds around st edwards state park and seward park ( rocky shore and sunken trees) Jig a wooley bugger

Perch everywhere (Jig)
Crappie in Portage bay ( jig)
Rumors of carp....
Salmon in season

that 's all I know about LW

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
Used to fish off of the dock by the I90 bridge East Side of the lake. Yes there are Carp in that lake I caught a few in my spin rod days. Also Trolling a streamer or leech pattern can bring a trout or two to the boat. I have always heard good reports for small mouth bass but I have yet to try for them. Also take your fly rod out and fish a bare red hook or a crazy charlie for Sockey when and if season opens for. I am planning to take some kids out this summer to fish for perch on lake Washington. If any one out there know of a productive area for perch to try please email me. The kids will be using spin rods not fly rods. Just trying to pass on a love for fishing and clean water to couple of kids who never got a chance to do things in the outdoors.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To me:
Lake Washington / Puget Sound are our home waters.
Knowing them and the area streams make sense to me as a first step before venturing off to Patagonia, Baha or _ _ _ (wherever you like). I am interested in Lake Washington for sport and recreation.
A good put-in down South is located behind the Renton Airport next to the Canoe/Kayak Center at the mouth of the Cedar River. Remember the Cedar is always closed, but once you hit the lake (300 yard float) everything is fishable in it's season.
Now, Piscean:
I want to hear more about your kayak. I will start a new topic.
Roll Cast
"Rules, there ain't no rules around here! We're trying to accomplish something!"J. Belushi

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
Looking more for a place to go by boat. I am taking them in my 15" Arima. If they like fishing their moms can take them to the docks or to fish from shore. I will even give them some areas they can go, but I want them to experince being on the water away from large crowds. It allows me more time to explain conservation. Also to allow them to experince something they would not get a chance to do most likely otherwise. The two docks though I will keep in mind for the list of places to have mom take their kids on their own if the kids enjoy.

·
Patrick
1,792 Posts
The boat is big for its size. Sleeps 2 as long as they are close {think husband and wife} has a cabin and toilet. I have had as many as 4 full grown men on the boat with 3 fishing at a time. One would drive and we would troll three poles. It was always better with three adults because all could fish at the same time. You can only have two flyfish from at a time due to the roof over the steering area. I plan to take two to three kids and one other adult to help supervise. The adult will be parents of at least one of the kids and we will not be fishing.I am not talking large groups of kids just a few at a time a couple of days this summer. Since I do not have kids myself that all I can handle anyways.

·
Almost Senior Member
109 Posts
outdoor emporium has a waterproof map of lake washington and banks lake showing where different types of fish generally hang out. i think there about $6.00

·
Registered
471 Posts
I grew up on th elake and still fish it at my parents house near the south end.

There is a luanch at Coulon Park in Renton that is close to the mouth of the Cedar. You'll have a good shot at Rainbows and SRC, especially when they follw the salmon up in late summer/fall. I would guess the bass are camped out there when the smolts migrate out (bonk the bass they are not native and reak havoc on the salmon).

There is also a launch at Newport Shores of the Coal creek exit south of I-90 on 405. Coal creek used to have salmon but development upstream destroyed the run. There still may be SRC's and it is a good bass area.

Near the Arboretumn looks good for bass and any salmon going to the Cedar or Issaquah creek have to pass through the Montlake Cut.

Look for small streams that go into the lake they may be go locations to hit SRCs in the fall.

In late July/August there is a good Hex hatch that starts comming of around 6pm and the trout and bass feed on. I plan on hitting that in my canoe.

Have fun and good luck!
:beer1

·
Registered
6 Posts
The bait chuckers catch some nice trout off of the dock at Waverly Park in Kirkland, but its usually a little crowded for fly fishing. I caught a couple of small rainbows flyfishing off of the bank at O.O. Denny Park last spring using a small streamer. As for perch, the options are much better for fly fishing because they school up in shallow water, especially in September, October. I have had good luck anchoring over weed beds in about 15 feet of water around the north end of the lake (Arrowhead Pt area).

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,347 Posts
My brother and I used to fish off Sand Point back in the good old days. There used to be tons of perch in the fall off the swimming beach there.

This time of year, you'll see the bass guys fishing around the entrance to the ship canal. apparently the out migrating salmon are an attractant to the bass in the lake, and that's a good spot to catch them.

There are also fish that are rumoured to be around the mouth of the Sammamish and the Cedar catching out migrants this time of year. Typically they sit right at the break in slope of the delta.

A buddy of mine was inventorying fish in the Cedar a few weeks ago, and he showed me a shot of a little 5-6 pound rainbow spawning, he said it was the smallest he saw that day. These are the resident rainbows from Lake Washington.

There are big trout that are rumoured to feed off the surface at dawn off of Waverly Park in Kirkland. And I don't really doubt it.

I work on Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish and I have had the chance to see some pretty nice fish rising to hatching bugs. I have seen midge hatches in the middle of winter that would blow your mind.

A couple of years ago, I was looking at using the I-90 bridge for a monitoring station, but it didn't pan out. While I was walking out on the HOV bridge deck when it was closed, I saw a nice trout of 12-14 inches swimming lazily in the water between the bridges.

I am really interested in fishing Lake Washington more with a fly, but I want to check it out with a power boat that I don't have yet. I certainly wouldn't discount it as a place to fish, as it really is one of the state's most underfished lakes.

Rob

·
Registered
61 Posts
As a student at the University of Washington I am in close proximity to this lake. However, only recently have i found myself consistently wondering about the fishing on this large body of water. Unfortunately i know nothing about this water, having spent most my days wandering the snoqualmie forks.

My adventures would be with a flyrod (what else) and a small boat (kayak, etc), launching from the west side of the lake withing a couple miles of the 520 bridge. Any places within a reasonable distance to shoot for? (no need to unveil secrets). There is just soo much water, very intimidating.

It will most likely be that only time out there on the water will help. Although i feel i am suited to find good water where fish may hold and feed, this seems to be different than any of my numerous outings to westside rivers and eastside lakes.

Fly For Fun

"Trout Don't Live in Ugly Places" - Alex Higala

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.