Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, September is finally here and its my favorite time of year to do my favorite thing, fly fish lakes. Yes, thats right, I love the lakes. I've got a few trips planned leading up to the big one, Chopaka with a few of you die-hards. I was thinking about hittin up pass lake this weekend, or maybe this little secret lake that I've haven't been to in a while. their is something special to be said about sneaking into a little lake that "supposedly" doesn't exist anymore. If anyone has been out to a lake recently, tell us a story about your trip. Any recent pass lake report would be kind. See ya on the water :THUMBSUP YT

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have to agree, mid September thru October is my favorite time to fly-fish lakes. The elk are bugling, the air has a cold bite to it, everyone is salmon fishing and the trout are Aggressive! Anyone else planning on fishing Coldwater, Merrill or Goose?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't stop fishing the lakes in October! I had several double-digit days at Pass last November. I think it's temp is probably still a little high, but another week or two of crisp nights should bring it down, although the green stuff will still be there for awhile.

Happiness is a tight line.

Aaron J :BIGSMILE

·
Registered
416 Posts
Being pretty much a stillwater guy, I would have to agree that Septemper is a great month. Fished Dry Falls, Chopaka, Leech, and the Seeps in this last month and already things are good. But if you really want to talk about good, September is the month that you get yourself up to some good high elevation lakes. Ants and Bees..Ants and Bees... Going to try a McGinty this year for Goldens at _____ Lake (Did you really think that I was just going to up and out with it?) That should be memorable.

Now October and November are ideal. You see fish you never saw all year that HAVE to eat. "Hello Mr. 29" Dry Falls Brown Trout Buck. Where have you been hiding all summer? Thats funny, I thought there were only rainbows here..." In fact, I recall that they eat big flash patterns in size 6 and 4, right? Yeah, that's right.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't stop fishing the lakes in October!
Aaron J :BIGSMILE
I agree Aaron, The best trout fishing I ever had was in mid-october on Tunkwa Lk BC. The weather had settled into a pattern of fog that would burn off around two o'clock. During the two or three hours that the sun was out the fish went crazy for dry chironomids. I used Brian Chan's Lady McConnell and slayed them. The action usually ended when the fog came down again. On my last day at the lake I decided to fish untill later in the day. I tried several patterns before hitting on a sparkle maroon mini-leach fished dead drift near the bottom. I simply kept the slack off the line, no real retrieve. The fish went crazy and I stayed out until I could no longer tolerate the cold.
Al.

For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights.

Tacitus

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is my first message. Thought it was about time I checked in. I moved from upstate NY to Seattle at the beginning of summer with big trout on my mind. I found all of the big trout I can handle at Ebey Lake (a.k.a. Little Lake.) If you don't have an extremely rugged vehicle its about a two mile, uphill hike to get to this fly fishing only lake. Its well worth it. An afternoon of fishing usually brings me 5 or 6 cutts and the occassional rainbow all over 14 inches. 95% of the time I'm the only person on the lake. Hope to see some of you there some time. Don't forget your float tube.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How true that is, my friend, how true that is. My secret spot has some serious hicks living near by. Their are signs everywhere saying "danger, keep out, Locals only, etc." This might sound crazy, but I would never go there if I wasn't a white guy. seriously. I hate racism, but these people are scary, even to me. I always pack the gat going to this spot. Anyway, I'd love to get the scoop on the goldens, Whats it worth to ya, maybe we can trade...YT

·
Registered
16 Posts
At one time fisherman could drive all of the way up to Ebey Lake on a nice gravel road. However this road is now gated off. I've never tried hiking up it. I heard it was gated because people would drive up the road to toss out there old dishwashers, tires, etc. There is another road to the lake but it is very steep, rocky, and narrow. My car would never have a chance. I always park at the entrance to this road and make the hike to the lake. As far as the hicks, all I have seen are a few kids on dirtbikes.

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
just remember, throw 'em back

no kidding its time to get excited!! im already makin plans to get back fishin the ol fishin holes again! the fall is a great time to be out because every one is on the rivers chasing salmon an steelhead (well, me too). but when i tear myself away from the coho, i always have a great time. many of those put-n-take opening day pack-em-and-jack-em lakes are great fishing this time of year. good size and they havent seen lures or fly since spring. trout taste much better after a summerful of bugs instead of hatchery pellets and powerbait...

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
just remember, throw 'em back

lake ki is a real sleeper but goood fishing. try the usual stuff, it all has its moment. good sized fish too, i got a 22" out of there, when i brought it to net it had someones dick nite spoon in its jaw along with about 4 in. of leader! too funny. ive seen fish swimming around in there with those awful bright blue stringers attached to its gills. quite a sight. its real madness on the opener but everyone seems to forget about it once fall comes around. if you give a try, let me know how you do. good luck!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally, I'm not a fan on eating trout. Salmon, now thats another story. Their is nothing better than a fresh sockeye. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water. I'll only keep a trout if I'm going to eat it that night for supper, like if I'm camping or something. Once in a while I bring one back for my neighbor, he loves to eat trout(bait chucker). Its true though, the stocked lakes are great in the fall. I even go out on the april opener to Lake Erie(not the great lake) and catch like 50 fish and throw em all back. all the bait chuckers think I'm crazy, but I just laugh. So where the heck is this ebey lake fellas, give it up already. I might give up another little gem for all of you... :THUMBSUP YT

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you have a DeLorme Washington Gazetteer, look near Arlington off of SR 530 a little ways. It is also called Little Lake. I was up there years ago but they changed the access and I'm not sure how to get up there now other than to hike (about 2 miles) from the gate.

Good luck if you go. As I recall it had a nice population of cutts and bows in the 14 - 16 inch range that were very willing to accomodate you by taking all the standard subsurface patterns (chironomids, leeches, buggers, etc.) and on occasion dries (Adams, Ants, Midge Emergers, etc.)

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Well, guys, it sure is! Last Sunday I checked out both Lake Alice and Cottage Lake and found them at 70F at the boat launch. Tonight I struck out (unless you call a 4" LM Bass countable) and Lake Alice was a lovely 68F. With a little more rain, and more of these cold nights we should be in store for some real trout fishin' in lakes.

If you hit a lake, keep the temperature reports rolling in, as we can all use a little more good news!

Rob

==========
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey buffalo. I just started on this page (and fly fishing).
saw your name and checked it out. I'm from north Buffalo (Hertel ave near Main). I tried to get up to Ebby once but couldn't find it till to late in the day. Saw two bear and lots of deer. I think I'll try again. Go Bills.tim

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
I fished all three last week. Coldwater fished good, Merrill ok but I could not catch anything except a 4" brookie on Goose if you are talking the one on Adams. They had just planted a bunch of trout in Goose left over after a kids fishing derby and a few power bait chuckers were filling up their stringers with 14"-16" trout but they did not seem intrested in flies that day. Coldwater was fishing well and should do even better over the next week, the biggest I caught while there was 14" but what a fighter. Merrill was fishing well for Cutts including one nice sized one but I could not get a brown to bite all day. Mcbride another lake in that area had real warm water, it is a shallow lake and I only caught 1 from the shore in the hour I fished there. Mcbride will need to cool off quite a bit. I would give it until Oct. I just got back from 2 weeks of fishing lakes every day in Western Washington. I caught at least a fish in every lake I fished exept Alder and Bench. The least productive I fished included Battle Ground, Alder, Bench, Mcbride and Goose. Did well at Coldwater, Lower Cushman, Leland and one lake in the Hood Canal area that I did really well but I will not tell people about 30 plus fish in two days all 12" or bigger most were 14"to 16". Lake Cresent, Sutherland, and a few rivers along the way I also tried. It was a good trip overall and lots of fun. My arms are still tired from all the rowing and my legs from hiking but thats ok. :THUMBSUP

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.