Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to do our yearly camp at Kalaloch in a month or so and bringing the boat for the first time with the kids and wife. Any decent lakes with decent fish around? PM me if you have a favorite lake you would like to share :rofl:

Thank you.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Peter,

That is akin to asking if there are any lakes with big fish within one block of my house.

Yes, there is one lake within one hour of Kalaloch that has big fish. It's called Lake Quinault. You need a tribal license to fish it. The big fish are sockeye salmon, and you're not allowed to fish for them. The lake also contains a few rainbow, cutthroat, and bull trout. You'd need to check the regs, but I think the Tribe allows anglers to fish for the bull trout even though the NPS doesn't allow fishing for them in park waters upstream in the upper Quinault River.

I used to take my family camping at Kalaloch when the kids were young. Instead of fishing, we built monstrous sand castles on the beach. Then I'd take one day and drive down and fish for sea runs in the Queets River.

Sg

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Maybe Lake Pleasant for cutts and kokanee. Its pretty deep and the temps might be OK. Lake Quinault might be another one.
Big boat? Gas motor? Those are your choices, unless you want to drive all the way to Crescent or Sutherland or Ozette. The only other lakes in the area that I know are small, without decent ramps. More like rougher slide-in for smaller boats, and I/C gas motors prohibited in them, and MUCH thanks and appreciation to the powers that be for that!!!.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Within 2 hours or so:
Drive your boat up to Ozette and fish for the big squawfish, some LM Bass, and maybe some cutts.
Or, launch it before dawn at Crescent and go for the Beardslees and Crescentis!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.