Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I WENT THREE WEEKS AGO TO THE SUN LAKES AREA FOR SOME FISHING. DRY FALLS WAS THE WORST TRIP THAT I HAVE HAD IN MY FIVE YEARS OF FISHING. IN 4 HOURS I HOOKED ONLY ON 14" BOW ON A DAMSLE NIMPH. I EVEN WENT TO THE TRUSTED OLD BUNNY LEECH IN THREE COLORS. I AM WORRIED THAT LENICE AND NUNNALLY WILL PRODUCE THE SAME RESULTS. BIOLOGISTS ARE SAYING THAT THE MILD WINTER IS FORCING THE FISH ON BUGS INSTEAD OF BAIT A LOT EARLIER THAN NORMAL THIS SEASON. THIS SHOULD BE GOOD NEWS FOR FLY FISHERMAN. OVER ALL I THINK THAT IT IS EFFECTING ALL FISHING THIS YEAR. MY HOME ON THE EASTSIDE WAS COVERED IN MIDGES TOWARDS THE END OF WINTER.I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT IN MY LIFE. THEY HATCHED TO EARLY AND STUCK TO THE HOUSE FOR WARMTH. I HAD TO HAVE MY HOUSE SPRAYED TO GET THEM OFF. IT WAS REALLY WIERD. I FEEL THE EARLY WARM WEATHER AND LACK OF COLD WINTER HAS REALLY EFFECTED THE FISHING SEASON. ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE HAVE ANY IMPUT ON THE MATTER

G

·
Jango "King of the Caps" :beer2
All a mild winter serves to do is improve carry-over, hence more fish (as I believe you illuded to). "Forcing fish to bugs over bait earlier than normal" is a somewhat vague reference by a WFDW official, but my translation is "Fish get to cruise and chomp midges earlier than normal rather than resort to mostly just bloodworm larvae, scuds, leeches, crawfish" which wouldn't have an effect on whether they ate later on in the season or not... Trout will eat themselves into gross proportions given the forage base, minus x-amount of competition and favorable water temps. Even three weeks ago, water temps could have been just warm enough, or the migration of damsels less well-represented enough (for whatever reason hatches/migrations vary under seemingly same conditions), for fishing to be slowwwwwwww...

Four hours is not a reliable time-sample to conclude anything besides the fact you experienced a slow four hour period on that given day. But you did get one fish, which is consistent with your success to date (some of us, namely yours truly, do actually get skunked, as in shut-out... the no-hit shut-out is especially perplexing).
Warmer temps can drive fish pretty deep and render them less active (like cold temps)... from here until cooling time, those basin fish will be dangerously stressed under current conditions, particularly when caught.
Many Hatches :smokin
'Ram

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I say, go fishing when it's so cold you feel your balls sucking up into your abdomen. :thumb If you don't get hypothermia, at least you'll have a pretty intense experience. But seriously, my biggest stillwater fish was caught in January. :7 Then again, that was a couple of years ago, and I haven't been able to repeat it. :beathead Yes, I've suffered a lot of numbness trying. :rofl

Veni, Vidi, Ceviche! :beer2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.