Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
I have a "G" 1000 in a 9 foot 9 weight. Bought in about 83 or 84 for Kings& Silvers on the Kenai. I like, just don't toss a 9 much anymore. Think Gary Loomis was involved with Lamiglass around that time, it looks like the old Loomis IMG.

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
The XMG is a graphite rod, not a glass rod. I have built a couple of rods with Lamiglas blanks, one was a small fiberglass rod, and the other was on a graphite blank they no longer carry. I love both rods, and Lamiglas has a good reputation. There factory is in Woodland, Wa, near Vancouver and I have been there for a rod building convention they have yearly. I highly recommend these rods. They list the XMG as a fast action rod, so it should be on par with any of the more expensive brands.

Wayne

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 6#. Broke it by the handle so I sent it in thinking I'd pay some money and get a replacement. Instead it was repaired. It is not the same rod I liked and loved before, but I'll say this with the repair I can cast into the most hellish wind and get line out!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
My father in law gifted me his used G 1000 8wt 9' 2pc when I was getting started. I liked that rod but have gotten others in 4pc models.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have a 8.5 ft 6 wt that I got back in 1994. It has lots of backbone. Fishes more like a seven weight. Its been a good durable rod. But newer rods cast better. Still works great and have lots of good memories with the rod.

Keith

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just finished building a Lamiglas Perigee 9ft 2-3wt. Kind of a special purpose rod for small lakes and small fish in a float tube where you want a long rod to keep your back cast off the water. It performed well floating the MF Salmo in ID where the fish are plentiful but not that big. Very soft tip with a medium action overall. If you want something really slow, check out their honey colored fiberglass blanks. Their 7ft 3wt is my go to rod for small creeks. Loads up with just the leader dangling out.

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
I have two, a 9' 7 wt and 9 1/2' 8 wt that I bought as blanks in the early 90s. I like them quite a bit as they're medium action graphite rods amid a sea of graphite that could well substitute as fireplace pokers.

Sg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.