Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Briann0915
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spouse and I spent a frustrating two days trying to get our kayaks in the water, and possible fly fish Horsethief Lake. But Mother Nature would have none of that and blew up a storm both Sunday and today. We use sit-on-top kayaks, and in the rollers the lake produced in the winds, we'd likely have spent more time in the water than on it. But I did notice near the shoreline by the camping area at least three huge trout taking flies off the surface and generally having a great time cruising the water, often with dorsal fin exposed like a great white shark. Fascinating to watch, even though there was no way I could have beaten that wind with a dry fly. Were they taking chronomids? I couldn't see a bug on the water. Also spotted two osprey fishing the lake in the cove in the western end of the lake. They each got their fish!

·
Briann0915
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is Horsethief Lake?
Turn off of US 97 south of Goldendale onto SR 14. Go west about 8 miles. It's another railroad embankemented lake with a nice state park. I think the official name is Columbia Hills State Park. The park also features Native American petroglyphs and pictographs that date back thousands of years and were rescued and placed there to avoid being imundated and lost when the Dalles Dam was completed.

·
Fly Fisher, Bon Vivant!
385 Posts
Thanks! I remember seeing it on a map a while back but I forgot where. I was looking for a good place to catch Smallmouth which brings to mind my next question: Are there any Smallmouth in the lake? It appears to be very close to the Columbia River.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.