Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I fished a pretty big ebb tide(13 to 0 ft.) and fished an estuary that had been very productive for the last 1 1/2 months. The sea-run cutthroat appeared to have left it as they were probably following chum fry making their journey to the ocean.

I motored to another inlet and had excellent fishing. Numerous large sea-run cutthroat(16 to 17 inches) were

Water Liquid Fluid Fin Fish

Water Liquid Fluid Salmon-like fish Fish

landed with top water and subsurface squid patterns at one of the best consistly large sea-run cutthroat locations which is several miles from the nearest estuary. They appeared to be post-spawn fish and were nice and chunky. The fish were hooked in fairly deep water(approx. 8 ft.) with very strong tidal current( approx. 4 mph.). It was surprising that sea-run cutthroat were hooked in such fast tidal current so much for "slow walking" speed tidal current being the prime condition for sea-run cutthroat. It is the beauty of the sea-run cutthroat fisheries that nothing is an absolute as there are always exceptions.

P.S. If the sea-run cutthroat fisheries on Puget Sound is closed on May 1, I will be putting my "mojo/tricked out" boat up for sale:D!

Roger

·
Registered
205 Posts
On Friday I fished a pretty big ebb tide(13 to 0 ft.) and fished an estuary that had been very productive for the last 1 1/2 months. The sea-run cutthroat appeared to have left it as they were probably following chum fry making their journey to the ocean.

I motored to another inlet and had excellent fishing. Numerous large sea-run cutthroat(16 to 17 inches) were

View attachment 115971

View attachment 115972

landed with top water and subsurface squid patterns at one of the best consistly large sea-run cutthroat locations which is several miles from the nearest estuary. They appeared to be post-spawn fish and were nice and chunky. The fish were hooked in fairly deep water(approx. 8 ft.) with very strong tidal current( approx. 4 mph.). It was surprising that sea-run cutthroat were hooked in such fast tidal current so much for "slow walking" speed tidal current being the prime condition for sea-run cutthroat. It is the beauty of the sea-run cutthroat fisheries that nothing is an absolute as there are always exceptions.

P.S. If the sea-run cutthroat fisheries on Puget Sound is closed on May 1, I will be putting my "mojo/tricked out" boat up for sale:D!

Roger
What sink tip or line did you use to fish 8' in a 4mph current?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What sink tip or line did you use to fish 8' in a 4mph current?
When I fish out of my boat, I usually have three 6 wt. rods strung up: (1) a Stealth Gary La Lontaine rod with a Rio Outbound floating(37 1/2 ft. head) line, (2) a G. Loomis PRO 4x rod with Rio Outbound type 6(37 1/2 ft. head) line, and a Echo Ion rod with a Rio InTouch full sink(type 7) line.

I was using Rio Outbound type 6 line to land most sea-run cutthroat even in very strong tidal current. But IMHO Rio InTouch full sinking(type 7) line would have gotten down deeper. I even hooked a couple of sea-run cutthroat using the Rio Outbound floating line in very strong tidal current.

Roger

·
Registered
205 Posts
When I fish out of my boat, I usually have three 6 wt. rods strung up: (1) a Stealth Gary La Lontaine rod with a Rio Outbound floating(37 1/2 ft. head) line, (2) a G. Loomis PRO 4x rod with Rio Outbound type 6(37 1/2 ft. head) line, and a Echo Ion rod with a Rio InTouch full sink(type 7) line.

I was using Rio Outbound type 6 line to land most sea-run cutthroat even in very strong tidal current. But IMHO Rio InTouch full sinking(type 7) line would have gotten down deeper. I even hooked a couple of sea-run cutthroat using the Rio Outbound floating line in very strong tidal current.

Roger
Thanks Roger

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If the boat comes with a chart plotter marked with all of your fishing spots I am first in line.
You could make a few bucks just selling the memory card.
My boat has a GPS/fish finder instrument so my fishing locations are on GPS charter plotter. I like Jeff's idea to sell memory cards but they won't be cheap:D! I retired many years ago and it would be nice to have some extra cash to buy my wife a bigger diamond ring for putting up with my for so long. Particularly when I am constantly saying I am going fishing for the day;)!

Am anxiously awaiting May 1 to see if I will be selling my boat and fishing location chart memory cards:rolleyes:!

Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.