Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did we do? Any fish stories? Lots of pressure today, all you unemployed people, HA HA. bawling:

·
Formally Double-D
530 Posts
Fished the Sauk and Skagit last Saturday, lost two very large fish. First one I believe was a large dolly, didn't get a good look, came to the surface and spit the hook estimated around 5+ lbs. Second one was definitly steel that made several runs. Got it to the leader before throwing the hook again I didn't get a good look but felt like a teenager. It's now time for me to hang up the winter spey.

·
Flyfishing is so "Metal"
687 Posts
I fished the Sky Monday and didn't catch anything. I did get to show a fella who was totally new to the two hander (and struggling mightily with it) how to do the down stream Perry Poke and watch him go from hating that wonderful VT2 to getting the first little "Ahhh Haaa!!" this is what it's supposed to be like light bulb. In return he gave me two furled leaders which are totally coooooool and work nicely in lieu of a poly leader and besides he made them which by its self makes them cooler than a poly leader :D.

The second highlight of the day was watching a 12 inch cutty come out of the water after my fly right next to me as I was making my forward cast. Too bad the little sucker (well not that little) couldn't jump the 50 feet to where my fly landed :D.

·
Josh
638 Posts
I caught a small 5#? Steelhead on Friday. Unlikely spot and really only thought that I might catch a Dolly that I had hooked up to the week before. Fish went down and then shot straight into the air, overall was a bull doging fight without any big runs. Landed her fast and sent her on the way.

My buddy Big Valley and I wrapped up things on Saturday with a couple beers and Pizza.

Hopefully I will make it out to the Peninsula for Steelhead and maybe even try to catch a Springer.

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
My last day out was spent with Stewart Dee, who was kind enough to let me spend the day throwing his Meiser MKS. I had two solid hookups on some hot steelhead, both of which pulled my poorly tied stinger hooks out of my string leeches.

Figures that I tie up duds right before my last outing of the season :-\

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
My last day out was spent with Stewart Dee, who was kind enough to let me spend the day throwing his Meiser MKS. I had two solid hookups on some hot steelhead, both of which pulled my poorly tied stinger hooks out of my string leeches.

Figures that I tie up duds right before my last outing of the season :-\
OUCH! That's gotta hurt. I haven't really hooked into a 'hot' winter steel to test out my leech stingers...hopefully that will change this weekend (but i'm not holding my breath)

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
sunday was my last local outing. started off on the sky wth Evan and Terry. fished good, nothing home. i bailed, went solo and on a hunch walked into a spot off the radar. had the river to myself. great color and flow. 12 feet of type III, heavy purple string leech, fed deep into the gut and swung slow... 1/4 way down my favorite stretch, line came tight, reel started to turn, and a little sideways pressure confirmed that this aint no stinkin rock! after a half dozen jumps and one good run, i slid a small buck, probably 6-7 pounds into the shallows. hook slid out and i looked him over, admiring that perfect adispose, then away he went..... hell yeah! first winter steelhead on the spey. and NOT for lack of effort!

happy valentines day!

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
at home now, feet kicked up,smile on my face, waitin for my pizza.............cuz i got one this morning w/ ron on a short float. solid 12 pound mint hen, couple nice runs and my reel was falling apart. was on the sauk monday w/ laker and brian got a nice buck, we landed 5 healthy dollies and i got a really nice cutt, was a suprise to find in that run! and ron got a chrome hen yesterday, so the crew did well. pics and hopefully a lil film should be up on the AATF website next couple days, since there's nothing to do now:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I fished the stilly the week before and actually landed two wild fish on different outings, also got a couple super slams without hookups before the river turned to mud-nogg. for some reason stilly fish are always special to me.

I was surprised on the last day of the sauk to actually fish a well known run first thing in the morning without any competition. had one hook up, and the fish came undone as I was pulling it up to a large flat where the water was only 8" deep for release. my partner was getting ready to tail it when it came unbuttoned. the fish zipped by me and I actually felt its tail slap my shin as it rocketed past.

I was also surprised on the last day by all the superb angling etiquette I observed. I had several gear and fly guys alike ask if it was okay if they fished behind me.

its a bummer that the whole works is shutting down, wether right or wrong all we can do is hope for the best and remain environmentally and politically aware.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Fished the Skagit Friday through Monday to close the season. Lots of rain and wind Fri. through Sun. Clear and calm Mon. Fished lots of good water from the middle to upper river. New record. No fish. Not one. I can't recall that ever happening before. Maybe there's something to this forecast for low returns.

Sg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems like the Skagit should be the river choice for emergency closure. Lots of good reports from the other S rivers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.