Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a business trip scheduled for late October in WY. Since I have some vacation days to burn, I thought I would tag along if I could find some fishing to keep me busy during the day. She needs to make multiple day stops in both Riverton and Cody, WY. Does anybody out there know of rivers that will be fishable that time of year in those areas? I did a bit of research quickly and came across the Wind River Canyon near Riverton which requires a special permit because it is on a reservation. Has anyone fished that before? Can you hike in? Is it wadeable? Is it a tailwater?
In Cody I have come across the Shoshone, Bighorn and Greybull? Anybody have general info on those rivers?

As always – much appreciated!

And yes...I did not proof read and spelled fly fishing wrong in the title :)

·
mccascades
8 Posts
The Shoshone is a great river to fish. The section from the Buffalo Bill Dam through the town is Cody is usually pretty good this time of year. troutpocket is right about the weather it can be hit or miss. I've seen it snow 6" one day in mid September only to melt the next and become warm again. A word of caution. All the drainages in this part of Wyoming have Grizzlies in them. Stay alert and have fun. I'll look for your trip report.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
A couple of things in Cody well worth the time to explore are the Buffalo Bill Cody museum and Bill Cody"s bar and restaraunt.

The museum is phenominal!! It is easy to spend a day there and when you walk out the door you will have a different perspective on the old west. There is the largest gun collection of American firearms assembled in one place, including the Winchester rifle given to Annie Oakley, origional art work from masters and frontier artists, and includes some of the famous bronzes and art of Remington I believe. Some really neat stuff and I am not into art. Then there is the settlers cabin. Looking at that will make you wonder about a few things to say the least! And there is a lot more stuff.

The Bar is cool and well worth stopping in for a good meal. It is impressive! From the bar that Queen Victoria gave him to the pictures on the wall you will be glad you stopped in.

Dave

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Ditto on the North Fork of the Shoshone. The Grey Reef tailwater on the North Platte near Casper is one of the best in the US, but the wind can really blow there. The river there is now at minimum flow for the winter. Platte River Anglers and Ugly Bug Flyshop both in Casper can help with up to date info.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't know about the Cody waters other than that they'll probably be very low at this time of year unless they're dumping water from Buffalo Bill Res.

Wind River Canyon is tough to wade-big water, narrow canyon. Road follows the river so you won't have to hike very far. Don't think it's technically a tailwater but the flow is dam controlled. Good sized browns dominate the population.

Grey Reef is great but a bit of a drive from where you'll be. Flows are usually 500cfs in the fall and winter. Wind is almost always an issue. Weeds are also a problem this time of year. But the lure of huge rainbows can make such problems seem insignificant.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The Wind River canyon is an absolutely phenomenal fishery.....at the right time of year. You'd have to talk to some guys around that area as I have zero experience with it this time of year. But definitely look into it, because if its fishing well then it is one of the best trout fisheries around. As far as fishing it in the canyon, you cannot float it by yourself. The only way to float that section is to book a trip with the Wind River Canyon guide service. Since its on the reservation, these are the only guys who have access to float it. I'm not sure about the regulations for wade fishing it or hiking in, but it would be a tough river to wade in the canyon anyway just because of the terrain. The North Platte can fish really well this time of year from what I'm told but that will be a bit of a drive. I have no experience with any of those other rivers around that area.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sounds like your looking for some wade fishing. When in Cody my pick would be the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone. Easy to find just head from Cody to Cooke. Beautiful river with decent access and easy waded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.