Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We managed to make it to Leech Lake last night. There was a serious hatch going off that started about 7:30 that was driving the little fish crazy. It was a very dark brown fly but I was not sure what it was. When they would land they had a down wing that extended beyond the body. I had some luck with a darker colored adams but nothing to wonderful. Also tried a few other darker patterns with limited success. :reallymad There were quite a few people on the lake and it didn't look like we were alone with a lot more casting than catching. :beathead

I was wondering if there were any other WFF members out last night and if they had any luck. I would also be interested if anyone else may have a suggestion as to what was hatching and what we should have been using to cash in on the surface activity.

:dunno

As a side note we switched to a green carey at the end and both played with a few nice triploids but only brought one to hand. We probably should have ignored the surface right from the start and we probably would have had a better night. Oh well the mosquitos needed a few new blood sources anyway.

Wazoo

·
Registered
227 Posts
I fished Leech last Saturday, and saw quite a few small brown caddis bopping about. There were also lots of damsels emerging, as well as some pretty good-sized mayflies. I fished mostly on top, with various mayfly patterns and did alright, with both brookies and triploids. Even caught a few of both when the dry fly went under and I slowly stripped it in. On the wet side, I caught a few on a damsel nymph, and mayfly nymphs.

I'm going to try and fish there again Saturday afternoon/evening, if I can make it through all the traffic confusion they are predicting for the weekend.
aaron j

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was also on leech last night doing more casting than catching. I did not do too bad though but I could feel my blood pressure rising as I threw everything in the fly box at them with little results. To me they looked like alderflies but as usually happens on my trips to leech the hatch is the one bug I don't have. Man it is irriating seeing 6 or seven fish jumping inches from your fly and coming up empty time and time again.x(

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have had great sucess with a black deer hair emerger fished dry with floatant just on deer hair. Change the color to match the hatch. Black caddis, dark brown caddis or light brown caddis. I have used the tent winged caddis pattern with sucess but I can see the deer hair emerger better and it works just as well. Matching the color is very important more so than size.

Last two times I fished leech with the above fly I have caught over 25 fish, about a third triploids.

Also a light brown mayfly dun works when they are coming off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
When the small black caddis are hatching, I do my best immitating the skittering by just casting and doing a slow kick backwards keeping my #14 deerhair caddis skimming the surface. They HAMMER IT!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.