Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I packed it up and went to leech lake for 3 days. Well, I just got back and Im already planning my next trip. We first got their at about 7 p.m. and it seemed like the skeeters did too! We headed out for the evening, and tried to figure out what the fish were hitting. About 10 minutes later, the lake turned calm as glass and was nothing but fish boiling to the surface. We tied on some size 14 adams and in no time were catching fish every cast till dark. In about an hour and a half, we had voer 50 fish on, landed 20 10 inch brookies, 3 12 inch brookies, and a 17 1/2 inch brookie as well! Also, we landed 9 triploids and had several more hooked. Sounds like fun to me! The last fish of the night was a 19 inch triploid that tore the hackle to bits. It was loose and strung backwartds, but I cast it out to wind all the line on my reel good, and amazingly, I landed another triploid! So, we cast out our adams, or what was left, and trolled till 1 o'clock in the morning, landing 6 more triploids. The next few days, we found the fish hitting this skrewed up adams and we even found a little hole all to ourselves. All the way at the west end of the lake by the cross country trail in the rock hill, it gets about 3 feet deep, then all the sudden it drops to 15! Right in the middle was a log so we hopped out, and using olive wooly buggers inching them along the bottom, landed several 12-14inch brookies and more triploids. WE did this every day and had a blast. Hope these tips work

·
Registered
953 Posts
Have probed the hole at the West End unsuccessfully on the last few trips. It looked like an interesting place, however. Perhaps I didn't have the fly deep enough.

I've done best for the 12-14 inch brookies fishing an olive carey or damselfly imitation on a sinking or sink tip line along the deadfalls on the North side of the lake.

Know what you mean about how this lake can turn on to dries. Have had 20 fish dryfly days when the callibaetis are hatching. I've done best in those situations with a 16-18 blue winged olive. The callibaetis duns which I've examined at leech have an olive body.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I might have talked to you before I left the lake last night. I was Planing to camp the whole weekend until I busted my rod on the only triploid I hooked last night. It was my first time there and it didn't take long to figure out the evening bite...#16 black caddis were crawling all over me. You could watch the cloud of bugs skitter across the water and the fish were going bonzo. I put on a 16 elk hair with peacock body and slowly finned backwards...it didn't matter if the bug was dry or sunk...in 10 to 20 feet it would get hammered!

I was told try a sinking line so I brought it for my other rod...forget it! If I had rigged both with a floater I'd still be there.

There was a guy there last night with an electric motor...not allowed correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.