Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
I met Lefty in 1990, he instantly improved my casting in about 5 minutes. His knowledge of the physics of casting, and how to help students find their own casting style, made me a better casting instructor.
He would usually be at the Seattle Sportsmen's Expo in the late 80's/early 90's. Talked to him a few times and got personal instruction also. Will never forget seeing him throw 90 foot casts with something like 5 fly rods simultaneously.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Bet I saw him every time he came, and would go again if he came back. In some ways he reminds me of Sam Snead. Both are/were Southern and both are known for their seemingly effortless and self taught cast/swing. Lefty would be more fun to spend the day with. He'll tease you but then will put you at ease.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What a wonderful interview!
When I got involved in the fly fishing industry Lefty was already a legend for several decades and yet non of the legends was as approachable as him. As great as he was at remembering jokes, he'd remember your name. He could give you a jab with a joke and then verbally throw his arm around you. Nobody put women at ease better than Lefty. He is a chick magnet! yet always respectful and polite.
To spend a day on the water with him would be a dream come true.
However many days he has left, I hope they are all wonderfully satisfying.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Me too

Have attended a few casting seminars with lefty and Bob Clouser

years ago. I too saw lefty throw 90 plus ft with a 5 wt with one false cast

Both crazy good casters and really good guys

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Great clip, that looks impossible.
Ha, looks like me cica 2009-2013 trying to fish the dream stream in CO most weekends between November and March. It's amazing how big fish push you to "figure out" casting in in unideal situations. Under the wind, using the wind to your advantage, all stuff you figure out quickly (sidearm casting anyone!). I am honestly to a point where it takes nearly a tropical storm force wind to get me to call it a day!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.