Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone fish Lenice or Lenore this weekend if so how was the fishing? I'm planning on going fishing at Lenice or Lenore next weekend and wondered if the main Damsel hatch had started yet?

Thanks
Fred

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hi Fred.
Fished Nunnally Saturday. Very hot, wind finally came up about 7:30 PM. Very slow day all around. Many mosquitos at the car park. Lots of cases on the surface from #10 chiros (yes, that big!) and smaller, #16 callibaetis, and many damsels. Lots of damsels in the air. We did not see any hatch all day. Of anything. No surface action at all, not hard to imagine with the heat and bright sun. Made it hard to decide what to do. Perhaps Friday or Friday night was good given all the cases. Some SI folks went hours without a strike (but had coolers on board, can you say iced beeer? as did I). Managed 7 to hand, all on olive damsel nymph, one ldr, a few other hits. Fish fought well, all 15" to 21". All on Northeast side, worked from deep up over edge of weed beds, 4 to 7 PM. Landed 8-9 sunfish and was not trying for them, hooked some 15' down. Water was 74 degrees at 12'!
Ronbow

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was there Sunday, June 8th

I was at Nunnally Sunday June 8th. Pretty much the same as other post - I got on the water at 6:30am (while the air temps were still "comfortable:) Wind was whipping (as the norm) even at the morning hours. Not quite whitecaps, but put in at the west end nonetheless to drift down the lake.

"Toss & strip" method of #12 light tan/olive marabou damsel along the south shore.
Had 3 in the shallows, all 16" to 19".
When I got down to the east end, I saw some surface activity. Some cruisers were working right up along the catails, some going airborn - so I figured time to switch to a damsel adult. Braided butt blue damsels (#12) with white antron post (so I can see the darn thing bobbing on the surface ripple). The wind was still blowing fairly good, so I assume the fish were waiting for an easy meal to fall off a catail to their waiting snouts:)
Got two more with the dry damsels, one just a hog (22"?)
Tip - go with 4x tippet too! I've broken off on the take with damsel dries at times, they can be savage hits.

I wouldn't say that the full out damsel migration has come into play yet on Lenice, Merry, Nunnally; (none molting on my tube, hat or in my hair(!) drying their wings). But if you go during June, have the box stocked with both the nymphs and the dry variety. I'd hate to be caught without those flies on these waters this month:-O

A fairly good day, but the wind was a bit early it seemed.
The HEAT really got to me after noon (upper 90's?), so I headed out for cooler fishing opportunites about 2pm.
(see my other post on Cooper Lake up in moutains).

Good fishing!
Dryfly
Mill Creek

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello,

I may be going solo after a couple buddies could no longer go to Lenice this Saturday (tomorrow!) It may be nice to hook up with someone. I have not fished this lake before and was really looking forward to it. Have you received any new reports. I may touch bases with a few of the shops on the eastside.

Let me know if you are still going and interested in a partner to take those nice pictures of big fish!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.