Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Proud to Be Alaskan
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm wondering if any of you all who fish salmon in salt water notice a problem with fish nipping the fly and not getting hooked? I'm thinking like 6 inch herring flies for swinging in a few spots around here in the salt. Anybody ever use an intruder as a baitfish style fly?

·
Registered
899 Posts
AK-PM,

I don't have a lot of experience targeting Kings, but plan to try this year. I like the looks of Kelvin's fly, and also the Mark Mandell Calamarko Squid listed in Les Johnson's Pacific Salmon II book.

Years ago I had access to a big boat and did a lot of mooching for Kings. I remember that they were notoriously soft biters. Sometimes we'd reel in & see bite marks on the herring we were using. A trick we used was to attach the trailer hook on the spot where the bite marks were. I also remember that you needed smaller hooks for the feeder blackmouth in Puget Sound, i.e. #2's (which are small for that type of fishing. The big ocean Kings seemed to be easier to hook with 3/0 to 5/0 hooks.

How could you apply this to fly fishing? I'd try different size flies and different sized hooks. Use a trailer hook on your patterns, with some pointing up and some down, some close to the head of the fly, and some with the trailer hook near the rear of the fly. Then you experiment until you find out what works.

Again, I'm no expert.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.