Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
It isn't hardly worth it considering the "fishing opportunities" around here anymore, even though I now qualify for the senior discount, per the above. Maybe I'll just content myself fishing for carp here for free - no license required (unless THAT changes) - tie flies & reload here and hunt & fish for trout elsewhere. I know for damn sure I won't be purchasing any punch cards.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
How is $55.32 to $64.92 for a combo license double?
Regardless the cost, I'll always going to buy a fishing license.
It is what I like to do for my recreation and there is always something to fish for regardless of less opportunities as of late.
I can piss away a lot of money doing other shit, but nothing replaces time on the water for me regardless of the species I'm targeting.
If people decide to sit on the sidelines because of this, so be it.
The sky won't be falling in my world because over the less then $.0.027 per day it would cost me to fish per year.
SF

·
LA RAMS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
5,345 Posts
This is a hefty annual increase for those who keep salmon, crab, and steelhead. The catch card fees are a big change. Ironically there is no point in buying a salmon catch card anymore.

·
Registered
630 Posts
And that's the problem, how in the hell will we know whether the money is being spent wisely. With the current state that salmon and steelhead are in, I just don't see the new catch card purchases helping.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So now, instead of only costing me $30 per year to fish for all that comes with the license, I would now have to pay $75 bucks. Fine if you go fish every weekend or you have a boat or got the money, but when you can't really afford the license anyway, even though I do come up with the cash, it is alot of money for us poor people, especially when you only get out to fish twice a month.. If I made enough money to not care, I probably wouldn't care, but when you don't, you notice these things alot more. The price of gas is already bad enough to travel out to go fishing. It's also more worth it if you limit your catch every time you go out. Not everyone is in the same situation, but everyone has to pay it.
Would you complain about gas prices if they where $8 per gallon? Sure, I have fun driving my car and going on road trips and I have spent money on more worthless things, but it's not really the point. This is a major jump in price.. I didn't get to fish the rivers last year because of the heat. This year is pretty much closed except for a couple months from what I heard here in Snohomish county, but maybe that has changed? The next year is this..
When does it become how it use to be back in the day when you buy a license and go out and fish anywhere and smell the freedom. Probably never again..
Oh and then there is the Access Pass.. I wonder if that price is gonna go up..

·
Mad Flyentist
1,764 Posts
I'm ok with it, it kinda sucks, but its definately not double, and if it directs any more help towards our fisheries, it's worth it.
People will bitch, but we've all been asking for changes for years. Maybe this will help, even if just by a little.

Trying to be optimistic :)

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
As long as you fish more than once or twice per year, those prices still seem like incredible bargains. If you fish just 12 times per year, that's about $5 per outing for the $64.95 basic license. There aren't many activities this awesome that are that cheap. I took my family out to dinner last night and it was $80-something dollars. We went to Family Fun Center arcade yesterday and it was $100+. Skiing? Golf? Bowling? All more expensive than fishing. I suppose a walk in the park is free...oh no, wait, that might cost me too depending upon whose jurisdiction the park falls under. But even if it's free, a walk in the park can't hold a candle to fishing for awesomeness.

Fishing is cheap under either the old or new fee structure.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Ignoring the senior discount for now it looks like that my lic. with cost $125.17 for the next season. That was a combo, salmon punch card, steelhead punch card, Columbia river endorsement, and two pole endorsement.

Gee may I should take up golf! Wait a checked the rates of local golf course it looks like it would cost me $30 to $45/day during the week or $35 to $55/day during the week end. I other words I could give up my fishing for golf and be able to golf 3 or maybe 4 days for what my fishing license fees would be.

Even at those proposed prices my fishing license is the cheapest recreational dollar that I spend. Not only does it get me in the game it helps supports the costs of assuring the future. At a daily rate my fishing lic. is costing me less than $2/day of fishing.

Curt

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I don't really understand it. They close down more and more skinny water and then raise the price of fishing licenses to fish for fish you can't catch. .

Doesn't the money for licenses go into the general fund. How does anybody know where their dollars go.

Well they won't ever have to worry if I ever come back to that state to fish. And I bitch about having to pay to fish here in Montana. It used to be for us old people to just get a conservation license to fish at the cost of 8 bucks. this year I had to buy a license at $18.50. I've been out one time.

Well it's still cheaper to fish here than it is there.

1 - 20 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.