Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Been steelhead fishing once
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the system hacking. That is woeful indeed.

Is it true that I have to be a resident for three months before I can buy a resident fishing license? The state requires that I get a driver's license, voter registration, and car registration within 30 days, but I have to wait 60 more days to be considered a resident by WDFW.

And if I buy a non-res now it expires in March. What a drag.

Is there any way around this?

I feel like I'm in a small town where the mechanic is working on my broke-down car and he's also the sheriff. I'm getting screwed and the law is backing it up.

Note: the SRC fishing I've done was on the "free days" while they sorted out the system hack. I was legal and wouldn't dream of it any other way.

· Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,833 Posts
All Washington fishing licenses expire at the end of March, resident or non resident.
If you want to fish now, you'll ned to pony up for the non resident license or sit on the sidelines for 60 days. Just a fact of the system.
SF

· Registered
2,182 Posts
That sucks. Forced abstinence may not be such a bad thing. Think of all the beaches, forest roads, creeks, rivers, and lakes you could explore. The wealth of knowledge you could amass is astounding. Not too mention all the flies tied for your season next year.

Or you could get the non resident

360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the varied replies. I love to fish, third only to eating and sex. I'll splurge on the non-res.

The carp one is a good one. If it was the right space and time I'd seriously consider it.

Yard, are you f'ing serious?

· Huge Member
5,216 Posts
Well, you can't poses a resident license if you are a resident of another state. So when you move and have lived in the new state long enough to be a resident of that new state you are supposed to send back the old states resident license. They charge you the difference and issue you a non-resident license.

Happened to me when I move across the Columbia from Washington to Oregon. I had bought a resident washington license and then moved. A few months later I got checked at the pull out. I mean full on, show me your whistle, look for the writing on the inside of the life jacket kind of checked. The older LEO was training a younger guy. Everything was cool. When I went to get my truck to pull my raft they noticed I had Oregon plates. They didn't like that. I explained what happened but they gave me a ticket anyway. I went to court and explained myself. They suspended the ticket but told me I had to send in the resident and get a non-resident. After 2 years the ticket disappeared. I was lucky the DA was cool, they could have given me a big fine and suspended my license for a year. Only time I've ever been ticketed...

Makes sense I guess but just wasn't something I thought about when moving. In the end I had 2 non-resident licenses but had been a resident of both states at one point or another during that year. Beauty of living in the gorge, you get to buy 2 licenses every year. At least now I get a resident oregon one.

360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it yesterday. I'm going fishing now. Will look forward to the resident version in Mar.

· Just an Old Man
35,201 Posts
When I moved here to Montana from Warshington. I gladly got me a out of state license. I never had to prove that I lived in that other state of confusion. I think I paid about 75 bucks for the out of state thingy. My next license cost me 8 bucks and I got my money back in the middle of the year as in a rebate check. The next year one was free.

So I can't complain about the costs of a fishing license. Plus I can fish Skinny water all year around here.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Will look forward to the resident version in Mar.
Yeah, we'll see about that.

If I were you, I'd start boning up on that residency test right now. You'll need to know things like:

Bill Boeing's middle name
Mark Langston's career strikeouts
Number of dead bodies in the Grand Coulee Dam
Definition of coulee
Definition of palouse
Correct pronunciation of Sequim
Correct spelling of Warner's first name
A. Kurt
B. Curt
C. Other

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.