Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fishing my z-axis 7136 with a 550 grain Rio Skagit line (no cheater). I had been using the 550 grain line (with cheater) on an older Sage 9140 traditional series rod (brown blank), but then I traded up for the lighter weight z-axis. I decided to give the 550 grain line a try on the lighter weight rod. It seems to be working OK, but at times it feels a bit heavy. Then again, I'm a fairly new spey caster and my technique is still iff, at best. The purpose of this thread is to get your opinion on whether this line is OK for the 7136. I know Rio's website recommends the 450 grain line, but I've spoken to a few folks who say the 550 is a better choice for the rod. Does anyone else fish the 7136 with a 550 grain line? If so, how do you like it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
You should do a search, a couple threads have dealt with this in some detail. Also check for same of Spey Pages. Long and short is you are definitely in the right ballpark range that many of the masters claim as the sweet spot for this rod. :thumb:

I have been pitching either an Airflo 510 or 540 compact Skagit head and I haven't decided yet which I like better. I have read that a bit heavier is like choking up on the bat, easier to make the cast but might not hit it out of the park. I'm still happy to make a hit.

--SW

·
Calvin Fuller
533 Posts
I agree with Slippery. I talked to Brian Styskal about this rod last year on the Skagit and he suggested the Airflo Skagit Compact 510gr. I threw it on my reel and found it throws awesome on the 7136. I have also been fishing the Scandi Compact in a 480gr. It is a rocket!

·
row-ho services for hire
58 Posts
I've been using the Rio AFS 7/8 Scandi on my 7136 and it casting great. That line is 460 grains. I'm shooting line out to around 100-110' pretty effortlessly with a snake roll and I would not consider myself an accomplished caster at all. You probably wouldn't want use sink tips with the AFS and Rio suggests using their sinking VersaLeaders or you could use the Airflo equivalent. I do mostly floating line so it works great for that.

For sinking situations, you could swap it out easily and attach the NEW Rio Skagit Flight head. That's what I have been doing.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Not sure if you've found a solution or not, but I recommend getting with your local fly shop and borrowing an airflo compact skagit kit, with all the various line weights, and see what feels good for you. I have the 7136 and I own both the 510 and 480 compact skagits; I found the 480 to be my favorite and use the 510 on my back up rod, a 7wt VT2, with great success.

To answer your original question "Does any one else fish the 7136 with a 550[skagit] grain line?".... It was the first line I tried, much too heavy in my opinion.

James.

·
Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!
263 Posts
A Skagit Flight 525 on the 7136 ZA is the easiest casting combo I have ever casted. I was unconsciously casting 80-90 feet in less than 3 minutes,having never casted that particular rod or line before. It pulls running line out and sends it like no other. Butter!

The Flight should give Airflo some serious competition in the Skagit market.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.