Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all!

I realize there's some good info in the archives already, just thought I'd post again to get some fresh perspectives on the Z-axis switch
and proper lining. I'm matching the rod with a Galvan T-8 reel and wondering if anyone has any good line recomendations... I really like
the Rio lines and thinking of going with the Indicator 8 for a floater and Outbound Short for a sink tip....

Any info and advice is appreciated.

thanks and tight lines!

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
I've also got the 7110 and the T-8, lovely combo! I've been using the airflo compact skagit 480 on it and love it! I've used it mostly for spey casting, but it also works great overheading it from the beach. Not sure if that was the info you are looking for, but thought I would chime in.

I have also found that it has a large grain window, so I'm sure it might take a bit to get it to your liking. I've casted a compact 330 scandi on it, as well as a 400grn 'single hand skagit' head and a 450 skagit and it all worked alright. I am just partial to the 480.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I test cast one for a weekend on the beaches and it tossed an Airflo 40+ 8 nicely, but I was more comfortable with the Airflo 40+ 9. I was strictly two handed overhead casting by roll casting out the head. I did not use it for any two handed spey techniques. Rocket of a rod, as I recall.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Outbound 8wt for single hand 9wt for combo spey, overhead. Rio skagit short 425 and 390 scandi with rio #50 slick shooter.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I love this rod and use it mostly in the summer, so I don't have a skagit recommendation. I like the 5/6 afs cut back about 5' to 6' to 320grns. I have the Sage indicator taper line(320grn), don't really care for it, as it doesn't cast very well as just a floater. The AFS casts an indicator pretty well, so changing tactics between swinging and indicator, is better served with the AFS. I like to use mono leaders but I'll throw on an intermediate 10' poly on occasion. Leader lengths 10 - 12' with the appropriate tippet size for the fly, will comfortably cast upto a size four bushy skater; larger skaters start to really affect the cast.

I will say I do prefer the Rio AFS over the Airflo compact scandi....not that I don't like Airflo because I think Airflo makes the best skagit lines.

James.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow. thanks for all the recommendations...
I suppose I should clarify that my intended use for this rod is for chasing monster alaskan 'bows and steelhead... drifting beads, flesh, and swinging weighted leeches. I'm not really all that concerned about Spey casting at the moment, although I imagine I'll play with it sometime.

I currently have a Redington 6wt CPX Switch, with Rio's Rio Grand floater and their Outbound Short sinking head, both in 7wts, and both seem to cast excellent with the rod...

My fishing gear inventory grows by the day around here so I'd like to keep this rod/line combo relatively simple... (I just got a new centerpin rig, too!)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Everything with out an indy use the 8wt outbound all I use when guiding the kenai, for indy work you need a long taper so a 9wt nymph or 9 wt steelhead taper are money.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input, longstick...
which Outbound line are you using? the floater, intermediate, or sink? what's best for swinging big nasty art. leeches and dolly llamas down on the lower kenai in october...?

I like my Outbound short/sink on my CPX but I cant see the grey running line enough to mend it... and who knows where my fly ever goes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.