Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blue River, Summit County CO :THUMBSUP

New to the sport...less than two years. Moved from the south sound to colorado now living in (sigh) Maryland.
The time spent in colorado I always noticed how little garbage/litter was around local rivers and streams.
Now that I am back for the holiday and already tired of the parents, I went out and poked around the Deschutes. I was sickened to see how much crap covered the banks.
Because I am a rookie...and didn't catch a thing, I spent my morning gathering what seemed like a ton of random litter.

The NW will always be my home... so I ask and plead...

If you see litter...please pick it up.

Fish on!

:THUMBSUP

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I pick up litter because it makes me feel righteous. I like to pull into a small spot and clean it up from hell to breakfast even cigarette butts. Then I look back on my work and feel a certain amount of pride. It's a nice spot now and maybe others will try to keep it clean.
Litter is like cancer. Once it gets started, it spreads like hell. People seeing it thus, don't feel it's worth it not to add to the mess. Never let it get started. We can and do make a difference.
So cleanup not just your stuff, but everybodies' as well :THUMBSUP

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
All litter is ugly, but discarded mono can become a deadly trap for wildlife, so although I usually don't have room to pack out other peoples' litter, I make a point to pick up tangles of mono and stuff them down my hipboots or waders. When I get home, I cut up the tangles with scissors before tossing them in the trash. Some of the manufacturers will accept old mono returned for recycling, although I haven't done this yet. I like BOBLAWLESS' idea.

Once upon a time I saw some guys blatantly tossing out fast food wrappers before leaving their vehicle. As soon as they were out of sight, I gathered every piece of litter I could find in the area and ramrodded it up their exhaust pipe along with some mud (heh, heh). I hope it worked.

:DEVIL Jimbo

·
Registered
248 Posts
Heh, ramrodded it up their exhaust. I gotta say, thats the best prank I've heard in a while.
As for the trash issue, I usually try to pick up at least a little trash on every trip. This past summer I picked up 5 whole garbage bags at the local trout lake(most were beer cans and bottles :MAD ). Anyway, I hope everyone does their part to keep our rivers and lakes looking beautiful,

~Ryan

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
being politically correct sucks

whats that type of cheese that stinks like hell when heated? anyways, i forget the name but just lay some of that cheese on someones engine or "ramrod" that down someones exhaust and ill bet that will be an experience not soon forgotten. as a 16 yr old male, i can appreciate a good prank. :DEVIL

~sean~

·
Registered
465 Posts
Litter Control-Call em in

The state has a litter hotline that I call all the time when I see people chuckin butts out their cars (a major fire hazard in the dry summer) or have crap flying out the back of their pick-up truck. It's stored in my cell under A-Holes :) and the number is(866)litter-1 (866)548-8371.

This works for people dumping trash in the woods too!

You need to give a license #, car make and color location date and time.

The state sends them a letter the first two times and a ticket the third. :THUMBSUP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.