Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I posted fish pictures, I said it would be from a creek or river; I'm abiding by that. This is about my son's fish :)

Trying to figure out the "mood" of stillwater, I'm finding, is akin to learning to read streams, and, being a newbie at ponds, I'm discovering just about the time I think I've got it figured out, I'm wrong. I figured tonight would be a killer, multiple fish evening with the cooler temps and stingy rain this afternoon.

I was wrong. I lost two, but, answering his big sister's challenge, Spartacus managed to coax in a contender for family beast tonight.

NOTE TO YOUNG PARENTS: If your kid(s) get really into sports in high school, there is usually a trade off- There is very little time for outdoor pursuits. I haven't hunted or fish nearly what I thought I would have with my kids because all of them were in multiple sports- Spart's been in three every year of high school, so the fishing time is precious...

...Like tonight's was for me...

After a brief second where it felt like a merely "nice" fish, the TXL-F began lurching toward Idaho...

Sky Cloud Water Sun hat Hat

I got my first view of the U-Boat as it flashed away from the net after its tail flopped on the surface like a whale rolling on the sea...

Water Water resources Lake Cloud Sky

I think I remember saying, "Holy crap!"...And then it bolted toward Wyoming...I managed to capture it, although not in focus...

Water Water resources Sky Lake Natural landscape

Water Ecoregion Sky Liquid Natural environment

His reaction after seeing it for the first time...

Water Sky Cloud Lake Gesture

Fight went on for awhile...He played the fish like he had spent all his summer days fishing instead of in football workouts...

Water Sky Fisherman Angling Lake

He actually complained of his arm tiring, until I was able to net this...

Water Photograph Vertebrate Sky Smile

Like I said, I haven't fished as much with him as I thought nor as I would have liked these last eighteen years...Now, he has a football scholarship to Minot State and my son's bolting to North Dakota for the beginning of fall football camp in twelve days...

This means that the nights we're able to fish before then are not only drawing to a close, but becoming more valuable to dad as the time clicks by...It wasn't so long ago, it seems to me, he caught this one...

Hand Plant Tree Grass Fawn

Fish like this, on nights such as these, can't be valued by nor purchased from me for any price or perceived happiness. Because these are the nights dads cherish and sons remember-And, I don't suppose it's about the size of a fish nor even cool July temps beneath a marmalade sunset; it's about an experience shared on the verge of a new chapter in life.

It's an experience that strikes me in a way Solomon might characterize a night such as this...
Clothing Smile Face Water Facial expression

...It is the gift of God.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
Consider your post "liked" by me just a bunch, @Shopkeeper ! That was a great fish & an even greater experience (for both of you.). Our Kids grow & are gone all too quickly & every opportunity to share time with them is precious indeed and is nothing to be squandered. I bid your Son well in his college career. Thanks for sharing this "gift."

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Consider your post "liked" by me just a bunch, @Shopkeeper ! That was a great fish & an even greater experience (for both of you.). Our Kids grow & are gone all too quickly & every opportunity to share time with them is precious indeed and is nothing to be squandered. I bid your Son well in his college career. Thanks for sharing this "gift."
X2 ...the report and this ^^^, both made me smile this morning. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much, sir...You're absolutely right; last year I married off my oldest daughter and this year we are official "empty-nesters."

With two in college now, summers and holidays just got a whole lot more anticipated.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
That was great!! Most people don't think of browns as jumpers, but it's been my experience big browns will get some serious air. Please tell me Sparticus is a nickname...:)

Reactions: Shopkeeper

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was great!! Most people don't think of browns as jumpers, but it's been my experience big browns will get some serious air. Please tell me Sparticus is a nickname...:)
It is...Given by a friend when we were discussing a name that would guarantee other kids would be intimidated so he wouldn't get beat up on the playground...Just kind of stuck :)

This fish launched about 3 times...This one was the farthest out and furthest up...Quite a sight.

·
FISHON206
4,704 Posts
Great story, great pictures Steve! That's one nice brown! Tell Spart I'm jealous.....we have a son who's moving to Colorado in August, wanted to flyfish pinks in the sound with him....guess I'll have to fish with Lue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.