Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like I have a small window to hit the water this weekend with my wife and daughter before they head out to Arizona for a little while. My question is for those of you who have taken little, very young children out on a boat before. I have a 14 foot deep hull aluminum boat that we will be rowing around on a little fly only high mountain lake and was curious if anyone had any suggestion for the little one. I was thinking snacks, snacks, more snacks, and toys?? Granted I hope to keep her entertained enough by catching fish, but who knows on that one?? Also it is gonna be my wifes first shot at fly fishing so :dunno ?

Thanks in advance

~Patrick ><>

note: I know.... life jackets are #1 on the list :p

·
SANCHO!
1,692 Posts
I have a little boy who's 6 so he's pretty easily entertained by bugs and lifting up rocks to find worms and such. As for a little girl, on a boat. hmmm I'd say just make sure she's warm and give a job to do, like netting the fish ya catch. Staying closer to shore would probably help with those frequent little kid bathroom trips.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Has she worn life jackets before? Some young kids throw a fit when forced to wear a life jacket - especially for a long amount of time.

Does she like to color? Try giving her a new coloring book and some new markers when you get on the water. Time consuming, and you won't care too much if they get tossed overboard.

Be careful with your back cast. Don't want to snag the little one. If you can get her to where and hat and sun glasses, that would be good...

For both your wife and your daughter, no matter who hooked the fish, let them play it (you may need to help the little one hold the rod). Then make them feel like the hero of the day for out-fishing you...

Be ready for bugs like biting flies and mosquitos. That's probably my wifes number 1 thing she hates when fishing with me.

Don't have high expectations for your fishing trip. Expect it to be a fun family time where you may or may not hook a few fish. Leave when it stops being fun for everyone.

Bring towels or blankets in case she wants to nap in the boat.

·
Josh Pearson
190 Posts
Pat,

use her as bait, that will keep her busy... just bring some snacks, toys and a blanket. She will definetly fall asleep while waiting for dad the might fishman to actually catch a fish.

Emma doesn't like a life jacket, matter of fact she won't wear one, but we found a life vest from columbia that she doesn't seem to mind. the float part of the vest is in the sides not up by her head.

cheers

Emma and I are heading out this weekend as well, good luck.

josh

·
Registered
804 Posts
take a rod that she can use/and or drop over the side and you won't freak - even a stick with a few feet of line on it - she may spend hours with it, or only minutes. Just having her as a spectator may turn her off from the sport (assuming you don't want that to happen)

My 8 year old daughter can cast her spin gear like a champ, will bait her own hook and realease her own bullheads and flounders, even gut her own fish if we keep one.

Some days she fish for hours, others only minutes then is off to find other things.

Jim

·
Registered
790 Posts
Coloring books, markers, and sticker books will keep them occupied for quite awhile. Break out the snacks in intervals so they don't get bored with them. Bring plenty of sunscreen.

Also, I almost always take the boat to shore several hours in to stretch and explore a little. It breaks the day up for them. (Careful though, sometimes they don't want to go back out).

Have fun. If your goal is to have fun and not to fish, it keeps the right emphasis and when you do get to fish, it's a bonus.

Pete

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Well I'll say that you and all the rest have a lot more guts than I do. I went fishing ONCE and only once with a friend and he took his two boys along(4 and 6). All they did was complain about the sun,the shade,the bugs,and when are we going home. But knowing you,you will have a good time. I don't think that I have the patience to do that any more.

Jim

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
In my experience, with my daughter many years ago, the best days on the water were the ones when I made sure that her fun came first. The little ones get distracted and bored easily. So; snacks, sunscreen,sunglasses, big floppy hat and maybe an umbrella, games, music...you name it. Remember that the sun will "get to" a little child a lot sooner than it will bother an adult. I would not let it become a long day for the little one.

The fishing isn't the big thing anyway, it's the being together that counts. Then when she's thirty five she'll be dragging you up some trail to go dry fly fishing with her because she will have happy memories of being with you on the water and "fishing".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.