Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just recieved the LL Bean fly fishing catalog today. I didn't even know they had one. Now, I have never bought any of their products, let alone fly fishing. Can anyone give me any input on the fly rods? Some of their rods are actually quite pricey while others, like the 8:eek piece rod are about 90 bucks. They say it breaks down to like 20 inches, which is really amazing. Anyway, I am interested in possibly purchasing an 8 weight, primarily for my Alaska trip this summer. Do you recommend their rods??? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan:beer2

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I have guided in remote areas and have seen the LL Bean rods in use. The cheaper ones did alright but they weren't so nice to cast all day for a week and didnt do so well playing bigger fish.Their better quality rods do fine and work well. They do have a reputation for great service at LL Bean. If you are going to the trouble to make a trip up north, presumably for trophy fish, then I suggest that you get the best rod you can afford. I would begin with Sage for my own experience has proven to me that they are the tops for quality, value and immediate service. They offer a wide range of prices and values and types of rods- more than ever.After twenty plus years of trying everything I have settled in with Sage and their great flyrods.I am always surprised to have a guest come to Alaska and spend so much for a dream trip and then pull out a cheap rod for a week of hard fishing. It just does not make sense and the sound of broken graphite rings in my ears every time I think of it.

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
I don't know anything about their rods but have purchased a ton of stuff from them. I've found their clothing to be extremely good. One thing that I really like about them is that they will bend over backwards to make the customer happy. If you get something that doesn't fit or you don't like, they'll take it back - no questions asked.
I'm sure that if you wanted to test the rod yourself and didn't care for it they would take it back.

Skinny

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Big fan of the the Bean. I have a 5 weight streamlite that I just love, casts really well. I think they have them in an 8 weight for about 2 bills. I think its worth it. they also have great waders, wading shoes, jackets, vests, hip packs, chest packs, etc. I had a problem with my 5 weight last year, called ll bean, they sent me a brand new rod no questions asked, and I returned the bad one in the tube they sent the new one in. they paid for return shipping, now thats service. they have 100% lifetime garentee on everything. I also have the LL bean river treads with the aqua stealth soles, love em, but a bit pricey for wading shoes at 125.00. my .02 cents:smokin YT

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I've got one of their older (late 80's) 8/9wt Big Bass rods that I got cheap and learned to cast sinktips on. After a few seasons, I realized it was pretty soft by todays fast-action graphite standards and invested in a Winson Ibis about 6 weeks ago. I'll just say the LL Bean will make a great back-up rod. I'm sure their newer rods are much much faster action.

I also got into one of their Guide Series 9 wt disc drag reels . . .stay away from them. They are cast rather than machined and the drag system goes free-spool from time to time both from pulling line off by hand and when fish pull hard. I've been using a Redington RS2 9/10 and liking it alot . . .you can still find 'em on Ebay for ~$50.

My .02

Rod:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.