Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I travel for pleasure, most of if is done by car. And when I'm out on the road, I'm always looking for a good place to eat.

I try to avoid chain restaurants if I can, even though they have one huge advantage. With a chain, you know exactly what you're going to get - OK food at a reasonable price in a clean, safe place. But with a little luck, you can do better than that.

If possible, I try to find a mom and pop place that looks promising. And about half the time it's no better and no worse than a chain. But I do feel better about eating there because at least my money stays in the local economy.

About 25% of the time it turns out to be a big mistake. Maybe the food is awful. Or it's good, but holy cow. a burger, soda and tip is $26??? Or maybe it's just kinda scary.

But the other 25% is why I make the effort. Once in a while I'll stumble into a place and leave thinking, WOW, that was the best chicken salad sandwich I've ever had. And it was eight bucks and it was huge. If I ever pass through xxxxxx again, I'm definitely coming back. Hell, I might just make a special trip to xxxxxx just to come back.

So let's make a list. Where's a good, local, mom and pop place in your neck of the woods? A place where out-of-towners can get a good meal at a reasonable price and the money stays in town?

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I made a trip to Idaho Falls last year to look at a car for my granddaughter. The cars was a total loss. On the way home I was somewhat hungry. So while driving up I-15 I stopped in Dubios Id. 95% of the town was boarded up. There was a gas station and a small cafe. It didn't look like much. It was painted black. It was small outside and inside.

The food was reasonable priced and huge helpings. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't very much.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Issaquah, WA

An obvious choice is the Issaquah Brew House. It's a little spendy and a little trendy and there's a good chance you'll have to wait for a table, but if you know all that and still go, you can't go wrong. Good food, good drink.

Personally, I'm more of a Malarky's guy. Malarky's is a strip-mall sports bar and doesn't try to be anything more than that. But, they have a big menu and the food is very good and reasonably priced. Service isn't bad - even good if you catch them on a good day. But don't be in a hurry if you pick this place.

North Bend, WA

North Bend has several good, local restaurants, but you can't do better than the North Bend Bar and Grill. It's not particularly cheap - most menu items run $10-15, more if you get the prime rib. (And you should get the prime rib. It's the prime rib against which I compare all other prime rib.) Good selection of beer and cocktails as well.

If you're looking for a quick burger, head out of town towards Snoqualmie. In a couple of miles at the light (literally THE light) there's a tiny little burger joint called Herfy's. Don't be tempted to get the double cheese burger. The single is plenty.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
I-5 south of Redding and Red Bluff in Corning, The Olive Pit. Great sandwiches, try the Mufelleta. More varieties of olives than I've seen anywhere, one can fill up on the tasting bar alone. Good coffee, has a beer and wine bar but the variety of olives and prices are second to none. Right off the freeway and next to gas stations. A good stop for those travelling.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
Tides Tavern-Gig Harbor----Clam Chowder and Side of garlic bread, about $8-9.

Antique Sandwich Shop near Pt. Defiance

Geoduck Tavern-Brinnon, WA.--burger & fries

19th Hole Tavern---Chico (near Silverdale)--good burger, $6 steak night, Monday's
(Great Sports bar--big screens everywhere)

2Margueritas--Union,WA.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
Coming back from Winthrop yesterday we were disappointed that Kelly's wasn't open for breakfast (good Irish breakfast when they are) so my buddy offered the Conway Tavern for lunch. I jump on things like that. Well worth the stop. He said the burgers are great but I learned they do a lot of oysters and had to go with it. I'll be back.
Some here have recommended a Tavern near the Yakima river turnoff from I90. Think it was North of 90 a ways but I'd appreciate a reminder. Sounded good but I've forgotten the name now.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think shops like Zippys and Red Mill smash Dicks/Herfies when in Seattle.

Last year we ate at a dive in Othello (was talked up by other hunters) that solidified my stance on bringing food. Why in the hell I was in farm country and was served canned crap off a Cisco truck befuddles me. Never again!

*So* I guess over the years I've gone for cheap and convenient; meaning I just pack food I like so I can eat on the run. I just make some sammies that I like; make sure to cut up some nice lettuce/pickles/peppers and put that in a separate baggy to avoid a soggy stack of yuk. That and a nice light beer (one!) and I am a happy camper. No driving out of the way for something that will ultimately make me want to grab a nap too.

Or I'll have the wife make some of her epic salad Nicoise. A Tupperware full of that is damn righteous while on the drink.

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Not sure if I posted this on other thread.

Fat Smittys on 101 in I think Pt Townsend, or outskirts of it. Limited menu, but burgers are out of this world.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.