Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as Lone was cooling and the fishing was bouncing back from summer.... It appears there was a spill on the lake that created an oil sheen and killed many trout.

I have not been home to get on the lake and see the sheen first hand, but it has been reported to the State and local agencies. If I learn more, I will share information for others here on this thread.

If you have information on what occurred, please post here! I think the problem was noticed last Thursday or Friday.

·
Indi Ira
9,505 Posts
Just as Lone was cooling and the fishing was bouncing back from summer.... It appears there was a spill on the lake that created an oil sheen and killed many trout.

I have not been home to get on the lake and see the sheen first hand, but it has been reported to the State and local agencies. If I learn more, I will share information for others here on this thread.

If you have information on what occurred, please post here! I think the problem was noticed last Thursday or Friday.
That really blows!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not sure if its' still posted but sign used to allow power boats something like from 11-5pm.
Have seen guys back in and flush their motors before and leave...stupid!.
Would like to hear some facts on this report, hopefully not dead fish floating around; was there two weeks ago and water the normal pea green.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
What part of this regulation am I not understanding?

View attachment 125383

Is this prohibition posted at the boat launch? I can't recall.
That regulation is just for fishing. If the county/city that Lone Lake is in doesn't prevent the use of gas powered motors, then one could launch his/her gas powered boat and go tooling around the lake.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
To expand a bit on Lone Lake boating regulations.

According to Island County Code 9.04.10 the speed limit on Lone is 5 mph except during the hours between 2 to 6 PM on weekends and 11 AM to 4 PM on weekends when the speed limit is increased to 45 mph. It would appear that the using internal combustion motors are prohibit while fishing but would be legal for other boating activities; including I would think water Skiing.

Curt

·
Registered
694 Posts
As I remember it the regulation came about when WDFW proposed changing the lake to a selective regulations lake. Some of the residents wanted to water ski or just power boat on the lake and were not happy. Some weren't happy with the fishing regulations being changed in the first place.

So we ended up with the rules in place.
1. When fishing internal combustion engines prohibited. Selective gear rules
2. When boating internal combustion engines are allowed.

I'm not trying to argue whether or not this is good or bad, and it was quite awhile ago so my memory may have faded!

Also if you think about it Pass lake must get more petroleum pollution in the form of run off from the highway than Lone does from people running their boats at the ramp. (unless the lower unit is leaking)

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I am so frustrated by this, I'd been looking forward to putting a crappy summer behind me by spending a fair bit of time on Lone this fall. I'll no doubt still do it as I really love fishing this lake though I may look a bit more at Pass. If DO is the issue, then I wonder what can be done in the future. DO levels dropping could be caused by the algal bloom decaying and so using up any remaining oxygen in the water, and hot water of course doesn't help with this either, less O in the first place. Hopefully there will at some point be a lot more aquatic plant life in the lake, this will add O and burn up some of the nutrients rater than the unicellular algae which may be the root cause. However, as I understand there used to be a ton of plant life and this overgrowth threatened the existence lake, certainly pissed off the land residents there. And so the fucking around with the lake plant biology began.

One for the bios is what is the typical biomass per acre for a lake like this. 1000 fish sounds like a lot but is it? Also I wonder re #s of dead fish seen vs unseen. I assume most dead fish will gas up and float and so be visible or is this bs thinking? Still the eagles/ospreys/raccoons/wildlife will be making the most of this windfall, makes up for shitty salmon runs I suppose.

I do wonder as to the homes that surround the lake in terms of poor septic systems or over fertilizing lawns/fields but of course as owners, they have the biggest voice and indeed rights. I'm not knocking them to much but if your (summer) home is by a lake where you/you're dog can't swim due to blue green algal blooms in addition to other non toxic algal blooming and then rotting to create a low O lake which smells due to anaerobic (no O) conditions then it's like inadvertently shitting into your well, perhaps literally. Hopefully the grass carp will eventually die and plant life can grow back for the reasons I've noted.

Totally bummed,

Dave

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.