Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, been a while since I posted.. not that anyone remembers me probobly..

Anyway some of the crew are headed to Lone lake this weekend.. This will be a first time hitting that lake for all of us.. The funny thing is that all four of us grew up on whidbey Island and 3 of our parents still live there...

So I know you are all experts on the lake, what do you think? We were thinking that we would try this new chrominid technique we learned at the sportsmans show. Throw in some may fly types for surface action.. We will all have some buggers in the box also.....

Any advice would sure help..

Trouttamer...

· Slainte
6,627 Posts
Most of my chironomid success at Lone has been to the left (east) of the launch and about 30 to 40 yards off the shore. Put your back to the southerly wind and keep your lines tight. They also work good off the point to the west of the put in.
Bugger Lane is best hit with sinking lines and a slow troll north to south just east of the chironomid spot.
If these don't pan out head to the south end and troll buggers east to west along the weed line.
Look for the eagle, one is usually in the trees on the point.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

· Registered
418 Posts
I don't know about "designated camping site.." There's a dirt parking lot, though. I once slept in my car in that lot. Is that considered "car camping?" :D

I really needed to go fishing in a bad way that night and took the last ferry to Clinton. I drank a bunch of red bulls, bought some beef jerky, a can of chew, and went out there on an October night at 4:00 AM to see if there was any night fishing possibilities.. For all of your benefit, that was dumb idea. Don't be a tool like me..:beathead

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Fish with anything in olive. I found that what works for me the most is damsel imitations. I catch most of mine over across the lake on the west side. Use a intermediate line and enjoy.

Scott

· Indi Ira
9,388 Posts
I tried that same chronimid technique from the show at Lone that very next day, and I'll tell you my skepticism of the "Strip, Strip, Strip" proved correct. :hmmm The wind blew hard that day and when I could stick my anchor I used the canuks method as much as anyother. 2 of the 20 or so trout that I caught that day came after the stripping the rest either took when the bobber was bouncing up and down, drifting with the wind or when I gave the fly some other varies action. I believe that the key is to keep adjusting your technique until you find what they want. All day I stayed somewhat in the same area, when fishing slowed down I'd either change depths, flies, retrieves or all of the above.

As far as location, try fishing your chronimid in 12' to 15' of water off any weed line. I've caught fish all over this lake doing just that.

Good Luck.

IRA..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.