Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going there next week, probably Wed or Fri. Looking for some info. Is the algal bloom in full bloom, is it worth trying damsel nymphs, chiro fishing I'm assuming has picked up with the lake warming. Any info or points appreciated.

Dave

·
...tastes like chicken....
68 Posts
Fished it Friday. Water was 70 degrees but not much bloom yet.

Tons of planters about 12", caught about a dozen of them and a couple of 16 inchers. It seemed to be a leech and bugger fishery. One guy was fishing chiros with not much action.

Watch out for the Eagles. One tried to steal my fish, but we waved him off with a bunch of yelling.

No hatches of significance all day.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks E/fly,

Wow 150 views and only one comment, I wonder if the blow ups re 'secret' spot reports on the main page is having an effect here too or maybe everyone's too busy fishing unlike me :). Lone Lk is not exactly a secret spot.

I know that it will have picked up since I last went as May has always been very good for me there, I just hoped it wasn't looking like a primordial swamp with all of the early sunshine we've had. I'd like a day or two to fish emergers before one has to go under the carpet so to speak with sinkers of chiro's the only show.

Thanks to E/fly and some PMs I have some good intel for Wed. I may later note that I caught a fish...E/fly and PM'ers will get the specifics :cool:

Dave

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since Lone lake is no secret there is no secret to catching fish put on a Wooly Bugger with a floating line long leader fish on!
Indeed Lue, you're right, that can work very well. Casting emergers or dries in front of pods of rising fish and watching one gently sip in your fly is another fine option that exists but only for a short while as the algal bloom takes over almost as soon as the fish really think about looking up for food, then its back to buggers under the scum. 70 water already has me scared tho.

Dave

·
68 Posts
That is what Elephant Fly had for a reading in his above post. If his thermometer is accurate, that is bad news!
I think it is accurate Jeff. It was on my buddies Garmin finder. I got a temp of 65 degrees a couple of weeks ago on my Lowrance finder.

Friday was a hot day, so things might have cooled a little since then. I agree that 70 degrees in May is not good news.

·
68 Posts
Indeed Lue, you're right, that can work very well. Casting emergers or dries in front of pods of rising fish and watching one gently sip in your fly is another fine option that exists but only for a short while as the algal bloom takes over almost as soon as the fish really think about looking up for food, then its back to buggers under the scum. 70 water already has me scared tho.

Dave
I was hoping for those sippers last Friday, since I have traditionally seen them in May. But the surface was super quiet and no hatches, to my surprise and disappointment. I was also surprised at how many hatchery brats there were. My experience is that the vast majority of bows in Lone I catch run 14-17", rarely smaller and sometimes larger. Last week it was 12,12,12,12,.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.