Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don’t mind - what was your line setup for that 2wt. DH rod?
Hi Tackleman ……. I fish three lines on this rod. SA Scandi @ 180 grains and Skagit @ 210 grains head and a Rio Scandi @ 180 grains. On that day, I was using the SA Skagit Lite 210 grains with 7.5’ of T8 and these were a couple of the streamers I was fishing. Dave
Plant Wood Arthropod Beak Adhesive

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi Tackleman ……. I fish three lines on this rod. SA Scandi @ 180 grains and Skagit @ 210 grains head and a Rio Scandi @ 180 grains. On that day, I was using the SA Skagit Lite 210 grains with 7.5’ of T8 and these were a couple of the streamers I was fishing. Dave View attachment 370045
Thanks for the response! I always wonder what a 2 wt. is capable of tossing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice to see someone building gear specifically for browns.

Browns are extremely piscivorous critters indeed and do go after bigger bugs in some places. But then there is the witching hour. When all the gear rod anglers have left.

The best brown fishing I have ever had was walking up from Skutz falls and meeting the sweaty crowd leaving after a hot June day and waiting till just before dark. Then waiting till just before sundown before even tying on the large sedge or parachute Adams. Browns have the best eyes of all the salmon species and if you want to catch them on the dry effectively then it is best if they cannot see you or your shadow and movements at all. Gin clear water makes day time when the caddis are active very difficult to catch a brown on the dry fly unless you can cast far across the river and up stream. And even during the witching hour you need to be gentle with the casts and stealthy with your moves.

On the right days after a long series of morning hatches we just fished that day with either a nice small elk hair or emerger the witching hour can happen that evening just at dusk. It only lasts at most an hour or on exceptional days 2 but when the mayflies and caddis flies start to dance and dip down to the surface there can be bigger caddis just emerging at dusk at the very same time as the spinner fall on the Cowichan.

We watch for the Browns to start sipping the bugs around the surface and if we see some swirls then it means that they are on the hatch. Then the magic can really start to happen, The caddis that hatched the day before or the same day in the morning lay their eggs and the smaller fish take the spent insects. The browns start to rise in a rhythm and one can time a cast to a specific fish that is rising close to you because at dusk the fisher has the advantage for a short period of time.

Fishing the spinner fall is the most challenging dry fly method I know of, but can be the most rewarding.

Unfortunately the Cowichan has suffered terribly due to the changing water conditions and the droughts of the last 20 years here on Vancouver Island. This year might be different the river is in decent shape for the first time in a very long time.
Here is hoping beyond hope that the joys of fishing that wonderful piece of water is not lost permanently.

A nice small spey would be great for dry fly as well especially if you are really adept at not making a milkshake out of a double spey or on a Skagit cast with a floating head and 6 lb tippet. For the emerger in the morning just switch over to a longer fluoro leader that you can turn over and I am sure that the setup with a light 11 foot or so spey setup would be great. Much better than rolling with a single hander. Though a little bit of a snake roll is possible with a 9' 6" single hander if you really practice,

Most of the time you need to cast at least 60 degrees upstream while fishing the evening spinner falls and fishing from above because swinging the bug steelhead dry style does not cut it with Browns when they are eating bugs instead of cray fish and minnows.

Great post, love the gear setup and I am sure it might do well on the Cowichan. Wish I had the bucks to try out a super light spey setup meself .:(.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts