Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7,459 Posts
I am New here. I am looking for a 12 Wt Christmas Island rod/reel combo.
thanks
Welcome to the forum, Buzzy from Ephrata....

Doc - what's your budget? Used? New? The new Sage Salt R8 at $1,100 plus the governor's share or an Echo Boost Blue at $299.00? Reels? And Abel Super 12 at about the cost of the R8 or a Redington Behemoth at $150? The low price point rod and reel are awesome quality and will work perfectly (Admittedly I'm an Echo fan, formerly a Sage fan).

I'm guessing you already are set up for the bones with your 8 weight? Don't go without spare lines, especially if you go to the Korean Wreck.

Good luck, have fun (when are you going?).

· Registered
39 Posts
@Buzzy gives the right advice here,don't spend a lot of money on a 12wt.setup as you simply won't get the use out of it.GT fishing is about getting your big fly on front of a big fish in a big hurry,and once you set the hook with a serious strip strike, you wind your reel drag up to sunset and hang on.That's it.The 12wt.Xi3 offered above is a proven Hippo teeth puller and if that's within your budget, go for it,as is the Redington Behemoth reel (just keep it out of the salt water as best you can).Most of the Kiritimati lagoon GT's you'll get shots at are between 15-30 lbs.You'll see bigger ones but getting a fly to them can be frustrating to say the least.good luck!! Oh yeah,and when are you going and who with please?
Cheers

· This work thing keeps getting in the way
328 Posts
I have a Scott S3S 12wt that is in new like condition. Used a a trip many years ago and have not had a need for it since. Would take $300 + some shipping 25/30 depending on location

1 - 6 of 6 Posts