Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking at the following clear intermediate lines for lake fishing with my 5 wt., and would appreciate any recommendations you have:

1. Rio Aqualux
2. S.A. Stillwater
3. Cortland 444SL

G

·
Looking for a clear intermediate sinking line recom...

I just this week picked up the S.A Stillwater for my 5 wt. and I have never casted a line I like any better.The line has no memory at all,although I have know way of telling how it will be in the cold as its 90 out now.
The shop I bought it at said that one of the reasons it is there top intermediate line is the sink rate seems to be a little faster than Rio or Cortland,who knows he did say that it is their top selling line.
After fighting that clear floating 555 this last month I was ready to try some thing new. I bought the line to fish SRCs in tide water and I think its perfect for that purpose.
One question for those who have been useing this line for any time ,what length leader seems to work best with this line ,I'm starting at 7 ft.3x but maybe even shorter would be better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Another vote for the Cortland Clear Camo. If it's good enough for Denny Rickards -- stillwater angler extraordinaire -- it's good enough for me. I've been using it for a year now in lake-fishing applications, and everytime I use it, I KNOW I'm going to catch fish. That said, I've never used the other two lines you mentioned so I don't know how it compares. But I'm confident in the Clear Camo -- which, in the end, is half the battle, I think.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I've been using the S.A. stillwater for about a year and after initially thinking it sunk too fast, I really like it now. I also have an Airflo slow intermediate that I'm getting used to but haven't really broken in yet. I used the SA line for beach fishing on Kodiak Island in June with great results.

Rod

·
Bent rods and tight lines!
109 Posts
Looking for a clear intermediate sinking line recom...

I have the S.A. and Cortland clear camo lines and have fished the Rio and the Airflo.
I would rate the Cortland the best because of low memory and its suppleness in the cold water. Next would be the S.A. line followed by the Rio and Airflow. They seem to be close to me in line slickness.
I have fished with Denny Rickards and known him for years. He tells it straight on. He fishes in lakes more days than most of us work in a year so he gets to see how a line works in the warm and cold weather applications. The intermediate is his "go to" line. He prefers the Cortland.
When the intermediates first came out, the S.A. was the best. But as they progressed in technology, the Cortland line to me is the best overall.
Leader length and size for the intermedite line is a matter of conditions. There are many opinions and preferences on that.
I use flourocarbon exclusively with the intermediate line to add to its stealth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.