Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm looking for some fishing friends. I'm temporarily staying in Ilwaco, WA for the next 3 weeks or so and REALLY need to get out and do some fly fishing. I learned to fly fish in Pennsylvania so I'm used to targeting brook, brown, and rainbow trout for the most part. I have caught some resident cutthrout here in the NW but nothing bigger than 8 in.

I'm looking for some folks who wouldn't mind me tagging along with them a few times. I'd prefer stream fishing but will try out still water....I need the practice anyhow! I have a 5wt rod, waders, equipment, but no still water float. I love to hike into areas to fish.

I plan on settling down here in the NW soon and would love to meet some fly fishers to help me get to know the fisheries/regs/ins and outs....

Thanks.

Josh

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
There are some streams in that area but nothing I know about and that area is more of a destinastion for most of us like going down to the beach or out on the ocean with a charter boat. There must be some members there if you're lucky to reach them. Your outfit is too light for the Columbia so your best bet probably is to get a map and the regs and match the streams you find to the regs for fishabillity and legalness. good luck and hope you can try a better area when you come back or that you do have good luck and find a great area to fish now.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Josh, I usually fish for the cutts here from one of my boats, but there's some hike-in fishing around here on the creeks, mainly small cutts now, since most of the the searuns here usually don't head up the creeks until we get the first fall rains. Could be a few upstream, in the bigger streams. They're running into the Quilleyute System up on the O.P.
In the smaller creeks flowing into the twin harbors, most searun cutts are probably still staying in tidewater. There's an incredible amount of anchovies schooling in the estuaries right now. Monday I paddled right through at least 50 large schools of 'em, and that was just in my water path. Why would the cutts want to leave all that food?
I have a couple of ideas for walk-in fishing, but the nearest one to you is about halfway between Ilwaco and Westport. Other one is a Grays Harbor trib. I'm pretty busy, but what's your schedule?
There might be some summer run steel somewhere down your way. Not sure if the Elochoman (nice drive eastward along hwy 4) or the Nemah hatcheries are doing summer runs. Try PMing board member "rainbow" who lives in Seaview.
Lakes around there are shallow and most likely too warm already to C&R trout, but you might find a place to stand and cast on the shore of Black Lake. some of those lakes have LM bass and perch in them.
I like having a boat, fishing kayak, or canoe around here.
Then there is the nemesis known as the "Red Tailed Surf Perch," but pursuing them on our windy beaches with a flyrod might only bring you grief.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.